Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tried to wean, went HORRIBLE. I want to continue breast feeding and need help :(

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:32 AM
  • 31 Replies

I have been crying ALL DAY. I decided a few nights ago that I wanted to wean my 7 1/2 month old baby girl, Adalya. I had my reasons for it and I felt good about it at the time. I had to do it "cold turkey" because she refused the bottle or cup. So I had my husband help me. I told him it was best if I slept on the couch so she would not see me and smell my milk. She cried the whole night and only drank 1/2 oz. I had been pumping just in case I changed my mind.... then my damn pump broke! I worked a little, it leaked , so I had to pump in the shower.

Well the whole day today Adalya maybe had a total of 1 1/2 oz! She was so hungry that she ate 1/2 jar of sweet potatoes (baby food jar) She usually hates baby food! I thought that she would take the bottle for sure tonight just simply because she was so hungry but she did not. She cried herself to sleep and it broke my heart.

I told my husband that I was going to breast feed her in the morning. I really am having a change of heart about this. I KNOW she is not ready to wean and now I feel that I am not ready either. My husband got really angry with me and at first he told me that I HAD to continue with the weaning because he is the one who had been dealing with her crying all day and night. Then he finally said, " do what you want but I am NOT going to help you at all when you do decide to wean her. You made a decision , you should have stuck with it"

Now I am extremely stressed because 1, My daughter is hungry. 2, I feel like I don't have my husbands support anymore on this. 3, Since my pump broke my right breast has lumps in it and I don't even know IF I will be able to feed her in the morning. I really need some support and help. I am in tears as I am writing this. Sorry if I sound like I am rambling I am just losing it right now :(

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babydsmommy18
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Can I ask why you wanted to wean her so young? She is not ready I would put her to the breast now She needs to nurse and that lump will go away..

kemmerer411
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:36 AM
Wake her and nurse. Now. You don't need a pump... you have a baby!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babydsmommy18
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Exactly! Plus she is probably really hungry.

Quoting kemmerer411:

I am A 20 year old pro-life married Mommy to a co-sleeping,Breastfeeding ,huggies wearing Mommys boy named Donovan born 6wks too early a Daddys girl named Serenity born 5wks to early and our newest baby Jagger born 4wks too early and I could not ask for more:) 

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Agreed. Best thing to do is just nurse nurse nurse. May I ask how you planned to feed her, since she won't take a bottle or a cup?

Quoting kemmerer411:

tomary
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Quoting babydsmommy18:

Can I ask why you wanted to wean her so young? She is not ready I would put her to the breast now She needs to nurse and that lump will go away..

It was for several reasons. I am on medicine for my chronic back pain, oxycodone 30mg. She also does not take a bottle, even if I pump, so it makes it hard for me to go anywhere or do anything with out her there. I have tried to leave her with my in-laws so I can go shopping or out to eat with friends and she just cries the entire time, even if I feed her beforehand.It just got to be frustrating.

And I can't nurse tonight. I had 2 large glasses of wine earlier because I honestly thought I was going to be done breast feeding for good.

CafeMom Tickers
onoelly
Wake her up and feed her. I'm sorry your hubby isn't being supportive
JasonsMom2007
Just nurse her!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:44 AM

As long as you aren't buzzed you can nurse her right now!

Quoting tomary:

Quoting babydsmommy18:

It was for several reasons. I am on medicine for my chronic back pain, oxycodone 30mg. She also does not take a bottle, even if I pump, so it makes it hard for me to go anywhere or do anything with out her there. I have tried to leave her with my in-laws so I can go shopping or out to eat with friends and she just cries the entire time, even if I feed her beforehand.It just got to be frustrating.

And I can't nurse tonight. I had 2 large glasses of wine earlier because I honestly thought I was going to be done breast feeding for good.

onoelly
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:44 AM
As soon as you feel sober, it should be safe to nurse her.

No animals or plants were harmed in the answering of this question. Any similarity with any person, living or dead, is purely coincidental and unintended.

This answer contains a substance known by the state of California to cause excessive moronic stupidity. Use with adequate ventilation.

onoelly
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:46 AM
Also, when you want to wean, you can slowly cut out feedings instead of cold turkey. I weaned my first over the course of about 2 months.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)