Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this an older nursling thing?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:41 AM
  • 6 Replies
My 11 monther has the ability to drive me crazy during some feeds! This happens the most in the mornings, we cosleep, and he will lift my shirt up above both breasts and nurse for about one min on one side then switch to the other for another min. He can continue popping off and on and rolling around in between like this for 10-15 mins. Its like he just cant decide which side he wants more! He does this during other times of the day as well. Is it going to hurt my supply? Should I discourage?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
eespelman
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:52 AM

My almost 18 month old does something a lot like this, it is her form of playing. We don't co-sleep anymore because she drove me crazy by rolling arond and trying to go from one to the other every few mins! She wouldn't even wait for the "good stuff" or hind-milk, just want the other side and then roll around and play. She still does this when she doesn't want to go to bed because she knows if she actually nurses she will get sleepy. With my daughter, I know she is just playing so I discourage it. On the other hand, no two children are alike so I could be wrong on the reasoning that your LO is doing this. Good luck Mama!! 

ilovemylovey
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:23 AM
Thanks! Yeah I worry that he's only getting foremilk doing this but he's gaining fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amileegirl
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:49 AM

It may not be playing.   They may be trying to stimulate or manipulate letdown

Daynaof3
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:56 PM

If it drives you nuts then yes, you should discourage it. If it's not really bothering you much then don't. Kellymom has a great article called nursing manners if you decide to try to avoid the behavior.

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 1:37 AM

Your baby may be switch nursing to increase your supply.. aggravation with a purpose! 

CLICK AN ICON TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

LKRA
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 9:07 AM

My daughter does that. Drives me mad. No, it won't hurt your supply, but it will drive you crazy. Discourage it. It's bad nursing manners.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)