Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BFing causeing me to bleed ??

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:13 AM
  • 14 Replies

When my son was about 10 months old , I started spotting . Not much , just enough to need my diva cup when I go out . Im going through a whole other , horrible ordeal with my period now , but when Im not on my period , Im spotting . The doctor says I will prob spot until I wean (is that how you spell that ?? lol)  my son and then up to a month after he stops nursing completely . I dont want to stop BFing yet , but Im SO sick of bleeding all the time . Has anyone else gone through this , who might have some insight ?

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IMAMOMx4
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Sorry never heard of that.  I never had my period/or spotting until I completely stop bfing.

Bump!

MamaKalila
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Ive never heard of that either...

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:23 AM
Im not sure. maybe you can request an ultrasound just to be safe. I do know your periods can be irregular but that sounds really weird to me. wth my first I had my first period at 10-11 months and then got pregnant the nex month. My secnd I got my period when he was around 4-5 months and it was like 40+days between cycles....and not very regular either but I did not have spotting inbetween periods like you do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daynaof3
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Do you use hormonal birth control? Do you have low iron levels? How about your thyroid levels? Do you have fibroids?

I have never heard of breastfeeding causing consistent spotting along with a full period, I would request some testing to make sure everything is okay.

amanda53x
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:20 PM

My post partum bleeding stopped at 4 weeks, but then started again at 6 weeks. At my 6 week check up, my doctor said I might randomly start bleeding off and on til I stop breastfeeding.  Its been almost a year now and I haven't started bleeding since then (except for my period which I got around 5 months). 

anyway, whats a diva cup?

ChesterGirl
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I dont take birthcontrol , I had my tubes tied , which is causeing me to have these HORRIBLE , month long periods . I have talked to my doctor about and he dosent seem concerned about it . I havent told them how bad I bleed sometimes eiather . I prob need to go get checked out , but I know they are gonna want blood tests and Im HORRIFIED of needles . I realize that sounds crazy , but I have a clinical phobia (due to some things that happened when I was a child) and it really is terrifing for me . My iron should be fine , its normally high , actually and as far as thrroid and fibroids , I have no idea .

Quoting Daynaof3:

Do you use hormonal birth control? Do you have low iron levels? How about your thyroid levels? Do you have fibroids?

I have never heard of breastfeeding causing consistent spotting along with a full period, I would request some testing to make sure everything is okay.

ChesterGirl
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:24 PM

You can google them . Its a silicon cup thats used to catch your menstrual flow . They are reusable and cost about 40 bux , but MAN are they worth it !! Its made of surgical silicon , so it holds no bacteria and is safe to reuse . Never having to buy tampons again . WIN WIN !

Quoting amanda53x:

My post partum bleeding stopped at 4 weeks, but then started again at 6 weeks. At my 6 week check up, my doctor said I might randomly start bleeding off and on til I stop breastfeeding.  Its been almost a year now and I haven't started bleeding since then (except for my period which I got around 5 months). 

MrsAdorkable
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Quoting amanda53x:

http://www.divacup.com/

I've never used this particular menstral cup (can't even remember the name of the one I used to use) but it is pretty nice. The one I used was a little too small for my liking... seemed to fill quickly & occasionally came out of place. This one seems alright though!

Anyways OP, never heard of that. I agree, you should def get it checked out. 
Idk what to tell you about the blood tests though =[ 

Daynaof3
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:28 PM

It doesn't sound crazy. They can start by doing an ultrasound or other imaging test to see if anything is going on, then go from there. If they know about your phobia they may automatically start this way, or if not request they do. I know how hard it is to deal with fears, if you need bloodwork I hope you have someone who is very good at helping you through it.

Quoting ChesterGirl:

I dont take birthcontrol , I had my tubes tied , which is causeing me to have these HORRIBLE , month long periods . I have talked to my doctor about and he dosent seem concerned about it . I havent told them how bad I bleed sometimes eiather . I prob need to go get checked out , but I know they are gonna want blood tests and Im HORRIFIED of needles . I realize that sounds crazy , but I have a clinical phobia (due to some things that happened when I was a child) and it really is terrifing for me . My iron should be fine , its normally high , actually and as far as thrroid and fibroids , I have no idea .

Quoting Daynaof3:

shhhhh.ImHiding
by Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:34 PM
Do some reading on having your tubes tied. I really don't think breastfeeding is the issue. I think its from having your tubes tied.

Sorry, my computer is down or I'd give you some links.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)