Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 month old refusing to eat, help!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:32 AM
  • 6 Replies
So my almost 3 month old is refusing to eat. She started off refusing to eat from my left side and now it's a struggle to get her on either side. She refused the left because the flow was too fast for her, I used the football hold on that side and it worked well for awhile. I barely produce on the right side, so I know she isn't getting enough. She has maybe 3 wet diapers a day plus one poopy. She hasn't gained any weight this week ( I have a digital infant scale) and her weight has slowed down this entire month. She doesn't seem particularly hungry throughout the day, just content. The one way I get her to eat is by putting her to sleep and then feeding her, and by then she just doesn't seem to be eating enough during the sleepy feed (slow swallows and then she's done after 5 min) Her birth weight was 7 lb 2oz on Nov 30, and today she is 11lb 3oz. Should I pump on the side that she refuses? What can be causing the low appetite and refusal? I am completely frustrated and feel horrible about all of this, please help.
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:53 AM

This is called a nursing strike.  It can be caused by many things.  My first thought is teething.  Is she drooling more and gnawing on her fingers or other things more than before?  Teething can start MONTHS before teeth show up.  Her gain is PERFECT!  I would not be worried about that.  You say she has been having 4 diaper changes per day.  How full are those diapers?  A wet diaper is about 4 tablespoons of liquid.  If there is more than that, it counts as two.  Pee and poop together also counts as two, I think.  How is she on her milestones?

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:54 AM

I forgot to give you the link to help get her back to nursing.  http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html

Daynaof3
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Definitely take a look at the link aehanrahan gave you.

Has she been sick recently? Any possibility of an ear infection? How does your breast feel on the side she refuses?

If she refuses the breast make sure you pump on that side for each missed feeding to maintain your supply. The other side will work to make up the difference and your supply on that side will increase over a few days to a week. Continue nursing her on demand on the side she takes.

Did she have pee along with the poop? You are only looking for 4-5+ wets a day after baby is 6 weeks old.

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:34 PM

She's heavier than I would expect for her age, so that's the good news. (One pound a month... I would look for her to be in the ten pound range, not over eleven pounds.)

It's a strike, definitely. You've been given great info on how to handle it.

ardiaxe
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 2:24 PM
She is heavier than you would expect? Wow, makes me feel better. I have never heard of a nursing strike, aehanrahan thank you so much for the link, I will read up on it and hope it helps. She is knawing at her fingers and drooling a lot, I just figured that meant she was hungry. I thought it was way too early to teeth.
Maybe her diapers are too absorbent, because it's difficult to tell how wet they are at times.
I have been able to switch her to the side she refuses when she was deeply asleep today, she didnt really drain it, but it did soften a little. Should I still pump even after she has been on it for a little bit? Anytime I use the pump, especially in the morning I end up with an oversupply on that side, it's a vicious cycle of her refusing it, me pumping to keep supply and her hating it when i attempt that side because the flow is
too fast. I think the struggles with the left side has made her hate breastfeeding all together. I hope this strike ends soon., so frustrating.
Ashylane
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:02 PM
I have oversupply and overactive let down and so I block feed. It helped 100%. Im on mobile so I can't post a link right now but ou should try it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)