Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

fish oil supplements...is it safe to take while breastfeeding?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:39 PM
  • 5 Replies

can i take a fish oil supplement to get the dha that i need? my husband takes this all natural kind, its in a liquid form, they made it take like orange, so he said its not a bad taste.

he's been telling me to take it, but i don't know if its safe while breastfeeding. i don't eat a lot of fish either, its kind of been grossing me out to eat fish lately.

so any advice would be great!

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Daynaof3
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Is there anything else in it? You want to be sure the fish oil has been tested for toxins and does not contain a bunch of mercury.

MamaHome
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:42 PM

I take flax oil. Not a huge fan of fish oil. 

Daynaof3
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Another option would be to get an Omega-3 supplement that's not derived from fish oil. Also go to http://www.infantrisk.org/ to get the number to Dr. Hale's hotline so you can call and ask them.

MrsIngram
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I take them. I aim to get vegan fatty acid supplements when I can, in order to avoid mercury. There are other ways to add more fatty acids to your diet. Eggs, fish (obviously), and seeds (can't remember the name, but they are very tiny and sold in a small bag in the organic food aisle at most stores) can help supplement.

Amy

breastfeeding, babywearing, homebirthing, crunchy type mama to- Charlie 4.30.2010, Kennedy 11.21.2008, Elli 12.11.03

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 1:23 AM

The information we have available on the safety of fish oil for nursing mothers is conflicting. There is a risk of mercury contamination in some fish oil supplements, which is why flax seed oil is more often recommended. If a fish oil supplement is chosen, it should be cold-pressed and certified. 

CLICK AN ICON TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)