Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

11 Days Old & Gas Problems

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:03 PM
  • 4 Replies

So Lilly is 11 days old today and EBF. She hasnt had a bottle in 6 days (long story I'll explain if anyone questions me). The last two days she has been extremely gassy and very uncomfortable. Mylicon has saved us and we've already gone through almost an entire bottle (her big sister poured some all over the bed that didnt help) and I feel bad for Lilly. I dont know how to fix it and I dont know if its something im eating. HELP 

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Daynaof3
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:14 PM

More often than not it's not what your eating. It's more likely that you have a fast letdown. Kellymom has info here: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Do you have an overactive letdown?  That is a very common cause of gassiness in newborns.  Newborns are also JUST gassy because their digestive tracts are getting used to working outside of mom.  Read THIS and see if it describes your situation at all. 

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Quoting aehanrahan: Do you have an overactive letdown?  That is a very common cause of gassiness in newborns.  Newborns are also JUST gassy because their digestive tracts are getting used to working outside of mom.  Read THIS and see if it describes your situation at all. 

CLICK AN ICON TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

AW-R
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 8:32 AM

I know its tough, but usually the gassiness resolves itself over time as the baby's digestive system matures.  If it makes you feel better, both my boys were extremely gassy as NBs, but by 2 months, one was over it, and the other had colic, so I couldn't ever tell what he was crying about. :-P  Its sad to see your baby crying b/c she has gas, but it will get better.  You can try gripe water.  My ped recommended it if Mylicon didn't work.  Neither really worked for us, but its worth a shot.  Also, you can bicycle her legs to help with the gas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)