Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you brush your babies teeth?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:05 PM
  • 6 Replies

I will start to wipe my babies mouth out with a wet wash cloth starting today. She has her two bottom teeth coming up.

I have a lot of regret about how I handled my son's teeth. I didn't start brushing his teeth until he was close to a year. And then it was a battle as he got older, and now at 3 1/2 his top 4 teeth are awful. I think it was a combination of things, not brushing his teeth everyday, not using fluoride toothpaste until he was 3,(i didn't know you are supposed to start at 2), and letting him have cow's milk before bed, and all day as well.

We take him to the dentist in a couple of weeks, and I'm already dreading what they will think of me. I did try, but apparently not my best. I really don't want my daughter to have teeth issues like he does. I take full responsibility and wished I could have done things differently. But at least I have learned and will not do what I did with him, with my second child.

I thought I was doing right by him, but looking back he ate to many sweets, and had way too much milk, all day long too. Now he only drinks water, and sweets are limited. So with the things I know now, I will also take my daughter to a dentist when she is a year old.

Well I just needed to get this out, because as a mother I feel like I have failed my son. And teeth are a big deal to me, and very important to me. I have great teeth, a couple of cavities but nothing bad. And I wanted the same for him as well. The only blessing is at least his teeth will fall out eventually and he won't have them forever.

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
RaLeighsMommy11
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:10 PM
dont feel bad momma! u did wht u thought was ur best! the dentist might can help! my lil cousin had to have caps on EVERY tooth @ age 4 and he is 9 now and caps r off and his teeth look good!
as for me my dd is almost 6 months and ive been brushing her teeth with an infant brush n toothpaste everynight since she was 4 months! only reason i know is cause im a dental assistant so dont feel bad :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:36 PM

You didn't fail him. Not by ANY means. Only death qualifies as failure.

As to fluoride... jury is out on that one. Our dentist said not till they don't swallow the toothpaste,l and that two is too early because of that. There are lots of folks you'll find out there who say fluoride is not needed at all.

teachermama81
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:39 PM

We don't use flouridated toothpaste for anyone in our house.  

I do brush my 15 month old's teeth, started about 9 months, maybe?  should have started sooner but oh well.

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 1:39 AM

We brush GUMS before we are brushing teeth, LOL. And, no fluoride here. 

CLICK AN ICON TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

blg5484
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 1:47 AM

DD got her teeth at about 6 months 2 lowers i let her chew her tooth brush before the teeth came in and now i let her chew it while i brush then i take it and make sure they get rubbed on but only with water no tooth paste

JasonsMom2007
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 1:50 AM
No flouride for any of us. It can cause issues. Ds is 3.5 and his teeth are perfect without flouride.
I've been brushing dd's teeth since 4 months but we just use water for her. She is 10 months and has 8 teeth
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)