Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

insurance reimbursement for pump use

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:48 PM
  • 7 Replies

Anybody ever file for insurance to reinburse you if you used a breastpump?

I just turned my pump back into the hospital this week and they told me to try to get my money back by filing each claim.  My husband said it doesn't hurt to try, but I don't want to waste my time.

What do ya'll think?  We're looking at about $500.00 back, but that's if they okay it.

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LuvingMy3Girls
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:51 PM
Depends on your plan. The plan I had with all 3 of my kids would only pay for the time the baby is in the hospital. But it's worth a try for sure
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bittersweet7791
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:01 PM
My mom said they passed a new thing where u can claim ur bfing expenses on ur taxes pumps clothes pads creams freezer bags etc
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjp2707
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:05 PM
I just had to have a letter of medical necessity which any bf friendly doc or lc will give you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Karasfirst
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:34 PM

What type of insurance do you have? I worked for an insurance company and they were actually covered under the durable medical eqipment benefit. No letter of medical necessity was needed as long as it was bought from like the hospital or authorized retailer.

SherriPie
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:42 PM

I was wondering this, too.  Our baby will be born with a cleft palate, and there is a good chance we won't be able to BF from the breast, so I will have to pump.  I have a double electric now, but it's going on baby #3 and I want to get a new one, especially with the amount of pumping I will be doing.

mjp2707
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:45 PM
Your case should def be approved to rent a hospital grade pump. And with a cleft palate and the chance of not bf I would def rec a hospital grade pump. I had to pump for a child with medical issues and wouldn't have made it with out my hospital grade pump!

Quoting SherriPie:

I was wondering this, too.  Our baby will be born with a cleft palate, and there is a good chance we won't be able to BF from the breast, so I will have to pump.  I have a double electric now, but it's going on baby #3 and I want to get a new one, especially with the amount of pumping I will be doing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tarinah
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:52 PM

my insurance paid for a pump for me, i didnt have to pay anything up front.  I just had the doc write a script and found a medical supply place that had them.  this was tricare :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)