Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fenugreek

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:04 PM
  • 6 Replies
How do I properly use fenugreek capsules to increase my milk supply? I got 100 610mg capsules from GNC.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ilovemylovey
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:08 PM
As long as you're not pregnant or diabetic you can safely take them. I think the common dosage is 4 pills 3 times a day. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:19 PM

take 9-12 a day, however you want to spread them out. around 3000mg a day minimum to work

cainjes
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:22 PM
Thank you! Kolston is 3 months old. I'm only wanting to increase for my freezer stash. I currently only have enough for two days and I'm more comfortable with closer to ten.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Be aware that if supply is good you may not see an increase with the fenugreek anyways.

Pump every single morning either right before that early morning feed or the opposite breast for that early morning feed and you will get the MOST milk.

How many ounces do you have stored? 10 days is ALOT of milk...300oz actually for the high end.

Do you have a deep freeze or just the one on the fridge?

cainjes
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I pump every night before I sleep. Kolston sleeps from 9 to 8 waking at 1,4, and 7 to eat. I pump at 11 and 8. I am getting ~6 oz combined from both sides each time.

I know that is EXCELLENT. When I was nursing Lily though (for 15 months) I almost always got closer to 10oz per pumping. So I always had 10 days worth of milk from the time she was 5 months old. Then when she self-weaned because I was pregnant with Kolston, I was able to give her the remaining milk from the freezer for a while.

I only have 40 oz in the freezer right now and I just don't feel prepared. I'm a plan-for-the-worst and strive for the best mama. I don't want any of my babies to ever have a taste of formula.

I do have a deep freeze. I pump, freeze in the above-fridge freezer lying flat and then put it into my chest freezer on the 2nd shelf down so it's less affected by opening and closing the door.

I NEED to have 3 days worth stored by April 29th. I got married last year and we didn't get a honeymoon so for our first anniversary, we are taking a 3 day weekend getaway for the two of us while my aunt watches the babies.

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 21, 2011 at 10:55 AM

40 ounces is nearly two days already. And April 29th? Pish. You could have a MONTH's worth stored before then, without fenugreek!

For most moms there's no problem with taking it, though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)