Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby led solids and a clingy baby - piog

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:25 PM
  • 15 Replies

Ok, so I have a 7 1/2 month old little girl who loves food. We've decided to go with baby-led solids ( i have the book from Rapley coming in the mail) and we've been doing it for a little bit and she loves the foods. I love that she loves the foods, the only thing is the mess. Ok, I know it's going to happen no matter what, but she will only stay in her highchair for maybe 5 minutes and nibble at her food. She fusses (pretty much screaming), I pick her up, and she is happy and chows down on whatever is in her hand. So, the only way she eats anything is by using my hip as her personal highchair. So, I get messy, food gets everywhere. I've been getting frustrated with it and been doing purees with her just holding a rice cracker or toast or something and it still gets a little messy but not so as bad. But I really really REALLY don't want to buy and/or make pureed baby food! Ugh. Help!

Another thing, how do you do it at other people's houses? It's so messy!

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gumbeme06
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:28 PM

I would say let her fuss in her chair for a minute. She knows that when she screams mommy will pick me up. If she's not in any pain or anything I would wait it out eventually she'll get that she needs to sit there to eat you know?

mollycat03
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:35 PM

I know, she's a little bratty :o). I let her fuss until it's that high pitched ear piercing squeal because other family members can't take it (living with my inlaws for a couple months). I'm hoping it gets better with time....??

Quoting gumbeme06:

I would say let her fuss in her chair for a minute. She knows that when she screams mommy will pick me up. If she's not in any pain or anything I would wait it out eventually she'll get that she needs to sit there to eat you know?

MrsAdorkable
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Quoting gumbeme06:

If your comfortable with it, do this ^

Otherwise.... wear an apron?
Also, if she has the chompers/mashing skills, purees aren't neccessary. Soft foods should cut it (and save on the mess -just a little!) 

mollycat03
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:58 PM

We've done lots of soft veggies and fruits and she really enjoys them-she just to enjoy them while I'm holding her. She's going through a clingy patch. Maybe this is a habit I need to nip in the bud. How do you deal with the mess, personally? I'd like to see other mom's ideas!

Quoting MrsAdorkable:

Quoting gumbeme06:

If your comfortable with it, do this ^

Otherwise.... wear an apron?
Also, if she has the chompers/mashing skills, purees aren't neccessary. Soft foods should cut it (and save on the mess -just a little!) 

Mom_to_Skyler
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:10 PM

ONLY give her food in her high chair.  If she screams and fusses and wants out, that's fine.  But that's the end of happy-food time. 

She's getting the best of both worlds.  She gets held and she gets to make a mess :)

Tell her that if she wants to eat she has to sit in her chair.  Once she's out, no food.

(And I'm very AP BTW - both my kids are child-led solids and CLW.  They get snacks in the living room and in the kitchen.  But once they start creating more physical work for me (i.e. more laundry from food on clothes or food all over the kitchen), then I find ways to minimize the stress.  My four-year old was eating and getting crumbs everywhere....so for the next week I made him have all his snacks in the high chair.  Facing the wall.  He learned very quick that having a snack is a privilege and that he'd better be tidy.)

mollycat03
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:19 PM
did yours go through a clingy stage like this? she's my first nursling.

Quoting Mom_to_Skyler:

ONLY give her food in her high chair.  If she screams and fusses and wants out, that's fine.  But that's the end of happy-food time. 

She's getting the best of both worlds.  She gets held and she gets to make a mess :)

Tell her that if she wants to eat she has to sit in her chair.  Once she's out, no food.

(And I'm very AP BTW - both my kids are child-led solids and CLW.  They get snacks in the living room and in the kitchen.  But once they start creating more physical work for me (i.e. more laundry from food on clothes or food all over the kitchen), then I find ways to minimize the stress.  My four-year old was eating and getting crumbs everywhere....so for the next week I made him have all his snacks in the high chair.  Facing the wall.  He learned very quick that having a snack is a privilege and that he'd better be tidy.)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom_to_Skyler
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Quoting mollycat03:

Ohmygosh!  My first son (bf to 34 months) was not really that clingy.  I got spoiled. My DD is totally clingy with me.  She is sometimes okay with Daddy but if she's tired or hungry then only Mama will do.

From nine months to about 11 was pretty intense but manageable...

Starting around 14 months she will not let me out of her sight.  It's weird because she's so much more a "do it myself" baby than my son ever was at that age.

As far as eating, she just turned 17 months old and can handle a fork/spoon better than my son can now (and he's 4.5 years old.)  But we were much more aware of baby-led solids with her.

But, your DD is plenty old enough to understand that she's only allowed to eat while in her high chair.  Though those rules have long fallen by the wayside at my house, they work when you need them.  And if your DD is ruining her clothes and yours (or creating more laundry for you to do) then it's a good idea to set the rules and reinforce them.

GL! 

mollycat03
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:35 PM
thanks, i will. she's definitely creating messes. She can't be down by herself for more than a minute, then she pushes away wanting down. we do this all day, she's indecisive! crazy baby! but she's my little sidekick and I love her. :-)

Quoting Mom_to_Skyler:

Quoting mollycat03:

Ohmygosh!  My first son (bf to 34 months) was not really that clingy.  I got spoiled. My DD is totally clingy with me.  She is sometimes okay with Daddy but if she's tired or hungry then only Mama will do.

From nine months to about 11 was pretty intense but manageable...

Starting around 14 months she will not let me out of her sight.  It's weird because she's so much more a "do it myself" baby than my son ever was at that age.

As far as eating, she just turned 17 months old and can handle a fork/spoon better than my son can now (and he's 4.5 years old.)  But we were much more aware of baby-led solids with her.

But, your DD is plenty old enough to understand that she's only allowed to eat while in her high chair.  Though those rules have long fallen by the wayside at my house, they work when you need them.  And if your DD is ruining her clothes and yours (or creating more laundry for you to do) then it's a good idea to set the rules and reinforce them.

GL! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amileegirl
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:04 PM

You have to let go of the notion that t what she is doing is bad or bratty. It's very  freeing!

She is acting exactly as she is supposed to.  She's supposed to be clingy.   You are safety and security.   Even something as trying new foods is better served in your presence or sharing a meal WITH you.  Do you share mealtime and eat together?

Expect a mess when you use messy foods.  That's the way it is.   If you want low mess use low mess foods like whole apples, banana with peel on and peas were popular for pincer practice.     I never ever made my girl sit in a chair if she didn't want to, I didn't want negative associations of confinement.   If all she wanted was five minutes she got five minutes.   What helps is not putting them in the high chair when hungry.  They aren't motivated by hunger to try new solids...they will be more willing to explore if they are full and sated from nursing.   And there are certain foods I allowed to eat on the go, on the floor, outside if warm, or out of my fingers at her leisure.  Let' be honest, as adults do we sit down 100% of the time to enjoy a snack? :)   Some foods are traveling foods:)

When out or over people's houses I didn't bring messy options (our favorite travel food is apples) and always nursed anyway.   Cantalope spears skin on work nicely.

When giving messy foods at home I simply stripped her naked, put on a washable bib, put a catch mat on the floor and let her go at it for as long as she wanted in the chair.    They do learn very quickly to make less mess as they get older and get more coordinated.   Right now they can't help the mess and it's not an everyday thing at that age.    .

mollycat03
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 8:29 AM

Good point. I have noticed this morning that there is a tooth on the verge of poking through, so that could explain her behavior. I can't wait for the summer fruits to try her on!

Quoting amileegirl:

You have to let go of the notion that t what she is doing is bad or bratty. It's very  freeing!

She is acting exactly as she is supposed to.  She's supposed to be clingy.   You are safety and security.   Even something as trying new foods is better served in your presence or sharing a meal WITH you.  Do you share mealtime and eat together?

Expect a mess when you use messy foods.  That's the way it is.   If you want low mess use low mess foods like whole apples, banana with peel on and peas were popular for pincer practice.     I never ever made my girl sit in a chair if she didn't want to, I didn't want negative associations of confinement.   If all she wanted was five minutes she got five minutes.   What helps is not putting them in the high chair when hungry.  They aren't motivated by hunger to try new solids...they will be more willing to explore if they are full and sated from nursing.   And there are certain foods I allowed to eat on the go, on the floor, outside if warm, or out of my fingers at her leisure.  Let' be honest, as adults do we sit down 100% of the time to enjoy a snack? :)   Some foods are traveling foods:)

When out or over people's houses I didn't bring messy options (our favorite travel food is apples) and always nursed anyway.   Cantalope spears skin on work nicely.

When giving messy foods at home I simply stripped her naked, put on a washable bib, put a catch mat on the floor and let her go at it for as long as she wanted in the chair.    They do learn very quickly to make less mess as they get older and get more coordinated.   Right now they can't help the mess and it's not an everyday thing at that age.    .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)