Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My poop looks and smells like my baby's poop!

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2011 at 12:12 AM
  • 11 Replies

Is this normal?  I am almost 3 weeks postpartum and have taken fenugreek the last couple days.  Could the fenugreek be causing this?  I haven't taken as much as the lactation consultants recommended.  Only about half for the last three days.

by on Feb. 26, 2011 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoraDun
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2011 at 12:16 AM

I am sorry but I had to laugh at the title...what a title!!!

I am not sure if the fenugreek could cause the problem or not?? Is there anything else that has changed the last few days....is this bothering you like physically??

NoraDun
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Bothersome Side Effects of Fenugreek

Just as with any medication or herbal product, not all of the potential fenugreek side effects are dangerous. In particular, the herb may cause the following bothersome, but not usually dangerous, side effects:

• Diarrhea
  • Indigestion or heartburn
  • Gas and bloating
  • Unusual body or urine odor (a maple syrup odor).

Serious Side Effects

Some side effects with fenugreek, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported to your healthcare provider right away. Side effects such as these may indicate that you should stop taking fenugreek. These include, but are not limited to:

• Signs of internal bleeding, which is theoretically possible with fenugreek, such as:

•  
    • Black, tarry stools; bright red blood in the stool; or vomiting of blood (signs of gastrointestinal bleeding)
    • Signs of a hemorrhagic stroke (bleeding in the brain), such as vision or speech changes, weakness or numbness in an arm or leg, or a severe headache

• Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:

•  
    • An unexplained rash
    • Hives
    • Itching
    • Unexplained swelling
    • Wheezing
    • Difficulty breathing or swallowing.

Because fenugreek has been used traditionally to stimulate labor, it could theoretically cause preterm labor or miscarriages if taken during pregnancy.
CountryGirl0809
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2011 at 12:36 AM

yes!!!    that is the effects of using it. if its not bothering your stomach though its ok

PieceOfMe3303
by on Feb. 26, 2011 at 1:26 AM

MY gas smells like my girls gas and I'm on fenugreek too lol Our poops are NOT alike by any means but the gas is haha

lil_ferfer
by on Feb. 26, 2011 at 1:27 AM
lol i did 2

Quoting NoraDun:

I am sorry but I had to laugh at the title...what a title!!!

I am not sure if the fenugreek could cause the problem or not?? Is there anything else that has changed the last few days....is this bothering you like physically??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelli1012
by on Feb. 26, 2011 at 1:30 AM

Yes.  Over the past few days I have projectile vomited a few times.  And occasional headaches.

arg4907
by on Feb. 26, 2011 at 2:52 AM
Lmao mine was the same as hers for a few days after I had her. I was like ewe no one told me we were going to poop the same lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 26, 2011 at 2:04 PM

That has me concerned enough to say you need to stop the fenugreek right now. Kelli, I may be mixing you up with another mom, but as I recall there aren't any actual SUPPLY isssues with you, just a demanding baby which is normal. Why were you taking the fenugreek again? (Sorry... we have lots of moms here and it's easy to get some of you confused.)

Quoting Kelli1012:

Yes.  Over the past few days I have projectile vomited a few times.  And occasional headaches.

Kelli1012
by on Feb. 26, 2011 at 3:10 PM

I have stopped taking fenugreek.  I read about the side effects it can have on some people and one of them was bleeding of the brain!  I couldn't believe it.  So since I have stopped I am starting to feel  better.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 26, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Good. Now what was going on that had you taking it? There are multiple ways of de-furring a feline so let's see what we can do!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN