Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastmilk Production

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:03 AM
  • 5 Replies

So, I have a 5 mos old and I have been strictly breastfeeding and pumping every day for work. I had a crappy older medela double electric pump and I could usually pump 5oz on each boob every morning with no prob and then i would pump when i feed my LO throughout the day. Well, I got a nice new Medela pump a few weeks ago and I dont know if its just coincidental but it seems like I can't pump much milk any more. I'm worried that my production is decreasing. My boobs don't even feel that full in the mornings any more, not like they used to. I eat pretty healthy and I'm trying to make sure I get extra calories. Some days I don't eat much because I'm sleeping in after working all night, but I try and make up for it on my off days. What do you ladies think?

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
NANA0819
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:07 AM
could u be pregnant? I started experiencing the same thing around the same time with my ds but then I found out I was pregnant & that explained the decrease.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
firstimer9510
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:03 AM

Oh my goodnes lol...I hope I'm not pregnant. I've been having a regular period. Any other thoughts? Should I just start trying to pump more?

Mom71307
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:42 AM

You can pump more often or go back to your old pump... some women respond to different pumps better.  If you wre getting more from the other one and the decrease started when you got the new one, it might be that!  I know that sounds odd since you'd think the new would work better but it seems a bit funny if the switch coincided with the decrease.  Also, water, oatmeal, and fenugreek to up supply!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Supply regulation, basically you were making WAYYYYYY more than the norm which is 1/2 oz to 2 oz total and its not normal to make as much as you were pumping.  Response to the pump goes down over time and that is normal, you breasts shouldn't feel full anymore, when they do it tells your body to make less.

Everything sounds normal to me

gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Normal output is two ounces total. You've regulated. You're supposed to lose that full feeling.

Baby needs 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour of separation. More is overfeeding.

I think you need to relax. You're normal and nothing here is wrong... unless someone has been overfeeding the baby. If so, then you need to worry about re-educating them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)