Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's the best approach?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:19 AM
  • 2 Replies

DS was 11 months yesterday.  He is exclusively breastfed (not a drop of formula).  I work full time (8-4:30 5 days a week).  I have been pumping only one time at work since I went back to work full time in November.  I usually pump 4 oz. from each side during this pumping session so 8 oz. total. Then I nurse him as soon as we get home.  It's been working fabulously, but I would like to drop this pumping session completely and just nurse when we're together.  I have 170 oz. of milk in the freezer that I can use in the mean time when we're apart.  I plan to go to cows milk when he's a year but still nurse when we're together for as long as he wants. 

What's the best way to drop this pumping session?  I don't think I can do it cold turkey because I'm usually pretty full.  TIA!

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Mom71307
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Gradually decrease the length of time you pump during that session.  This SHOULD tell your body to stop producing so much.  With only one session, I think that is the only way to go about it so you don't hurt or get a plugged duct.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:29 AM

Gradually cut back the amount of time you pump and then one you cut back to only a few minutes and then only pump if you NEED to pump and not til "empty"  You have an amazing oversupply when it comes to pumping so it may take a while to cut back and NOT be uncomfy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)