Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Night Nursing and Burping

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:22 AM
  • 6 Replies

I've been co-sleeping with my son (aged five and a half months) because he wakes so often in the night.  But I'm having some trouble with the night nursing because it seems like when he nurses lying down he has a lot more gas bubbles.  A little while after we nurse, he gets really squirmy and fussy.  It finally occured to me to sit up in bed and burp him -- voila!  HUGE burps, often some spitup, and then he's fine.

When I nurse him upright, in the rocking chair, he burps less often.  It's a big hassle to try to sit up with him in bed, plus it wakes us both up! 

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there something about lying down while nursing that makes the gas bubbles worse?

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:31 AM

WOW usually nursing lying down means LESS gas....so I dunno really, I am at a loss.  Will he nurse laying on top of you?  That may help with the weight on his tummy nursing.

NoraDun
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Bump...I don't burp my daughter after nursing...which maybe while I occassionally get soaked LOL but if I burp her then she thinks its time to get up and play...so I would rather her stay asleep and me just get up and change cloths LOL

JamieLauren
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:34 AM
Idk....I don't cosleep, but I lay dd down to nurse at night, and never burp her...she never needs it! Maybe try what tabi said, nurse him on his belly if he'll let you to put pressure on it?
Katerskater
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Good thought.  I've never tried nursing him on his tummy.  Well, except for right after he was born.  Awww...that brings back memories.  We were tummy to tummy about ten minutes after he was born and he was already on the boob. 

Okay, back to the present.  I will try that!!  Thanks.

lisakansas
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:53 AM

I always wondered why I was supposed to burp my baby during the day but when we coslept he did fine without burping...

slm047
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:57 AM

My baby actually has less gas when we lay down & eat. I think it's because the excess can just run out the side of her mouth. My daughter gets all squirmish when she needs to burp though. At night I feed her, burp her, & fortunately she'll be ready to go back to bed [she'll be 5 mo. on the 5th]

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)