Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What contaminates the virgin gut?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:21 AM
  • 5 Replies

So. . .I'm way past it mattering for my own LO, but I've always considered the 'virgin gut' to just mean EBF only with no solids or formula. I was just reading another post here and wondering, what about medications/home remedies? Tylenol, gripe water, antibiotics, mylicon?? Does anyone know what it actually takes to contaminate the gut and cause it to close? Just curious.

My DD had antibiotics for a severe ear infection at 3 mos. Her poop didn't change, actually nothing changed. . .so I'm wondering if that was a contamination or not? 

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LKRA
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:37 AM

I would think anything but breastmilk would contaminate the virgin gut, and that includes medicines and whatnot.

mombloggerJ
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Quoting LKRA:

I would think anything but breastmilk would contaminate the virgin gut, and that includes medicines and whatnot.

I suspect you are right. I've tried researching online but all I find is a bunch of moms fighting on discussion boards. Makes me so sad to see people put their fingers in their ears and refuse to believe anything that makes them feel guilty about their parenting choices. =( I probably would have self-treated the ear infection for a day or so longer (not sure if the antibiotics cleared it anyway) had I realized this. Also, not given mylicon drops with such abandon. Ah well, we know better we do better! =) Funny this didn't even dawn on me until today. lol

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:06 AM
Antibiotics contaminate it BUT if you EBF for 3-4 weeks after the gut flora goes back to normal..it doesn't close til between 6-9 months but the flora is contaminated or killed by anything like formula solids or antibiotics...
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:06 AM
mylicon and gripe water are absorbed and do not change the virgin gut flora
mombloggerJ
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

mylicon and gripe water are absorbed and do not change the virgin gut flora

Good to know! Thanks! You are awesomely knowledgeable. =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)