Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

one more time and i might just scream

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:18 PM
  • 14 Replies

after initial troubles with latching due to time spent in the NICU, DS finally caught on to bfing at about 3 weeks old and has been doing well since. the only formula he's ever had was from one nurse in the nicu, and then one bottle during that first week.

he was born 8 lbs 1 oz, and stayed in the 7 lb range for about 3 weeks. once he got the hang of nursing though he grew fast! today at 4 months he's just shy of 18 lbs.

could someone please remind me that yes 18 lbs might be big but it's not off the charts, and especially for an EBF baby, and i'm not a horrible mother who is obviously doing something wrong and has an obese baby?

i could seriously scream after some of the comments i get about him. it's not like he's freakishly fat or anything! and he's long too, 90th percentile. he's just a big boy. i actually had one woman questioning how i got him so "fat" when my husband and i aren't overweight. wth. he's a healthy baby, this is normal people. they're just used to FF babies that are skinnier at first before catching up to the EBF babies.

arrrrrggghhhhh!!!

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I would ask where they got their lessons in rudeness.

Mom71307
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:47 PM

My son was about that big.. also a NICU (short term) baby and only 5lbs coming home.  He is now 17 months and maybe 27lbs... but he REALLY dropped off weight gain in the last 6 months here.  My daughter was also a big baby but is perfect at 3 1/2... 50/50 at her 3 yr check.

celestegood
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:55 PM

He's fine.  Some babies are just big.  I guarantee you he will gradually stop gaining weight so fast around six to nine months of age, and then, he'll thin out as he gets more active. 

Good luck.  I would just tell them that babies tend to be very healthy when they get the good stuff.  Not rudely, but when is it their business?  smh some people think they have a right to pry into other peoples business.  Why I will never know.

Congratulations on the healthy baby!

mama02040608
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:57 PM
My oldest ds was like that...he was 20+lbs by 4 mos. Ignore them and they'll go away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sugarplumsmom
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I just read that by 4 months the dr's look for a baby to double their birth weight, and he's only 2 pounds more than that...not bad at all!  I would just tell people that

chrismom76
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:10 PM

My pedi has a cartoon in his office of people at dinner.  The mother is saying "Thank you for your unsolicited parenting advice.  May I recommend some facial cream for those lines on your face?"

jjchick75
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:16 PM

My girls were both born around 6 and half pounds. Only lost a couple of ounces a piece and now at 6 months both are just over 20lbs! I get comments all the time. I was asked at the store this morning "Wow how many solids are you giving them?" I said none. They respond with "Well babies don't get that big from breastmilk! So you have to be giving them something!" My husband being the smart ass he is responded with "It's steroids! We are giving them steroids so they can be body builders when they can walk!" She thought he was serious lol! Just ignore people they don't have manners lol!

Dawn07
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:29 PM
Lol. I love your husbands come back. That would so be something Dh or I would say.

Quoting jjchick75:

My girls were both born around 6 and half pounds. Only lost a couple of ounces a piece and now at 6 months both are just over 20lbs! I get comments all the time. I was asked at the store this morning "Wow how many solids are you giving them?" I said none. They respond with "Well babies don't get that big from breastmilk! So you have to be giving them something!" My husband being the smart ass he is responded with "It's steroids! We are giving them steroids so they can be body builders when they can walk!" She thought he was serious lol! Just ignore people they don't have manners lol!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:33 PM
Love it! ;-)

Quoting Dawn07:

Lol. I love your husbands come back. That would so be something Dh or I would say.

Quoting jjchick75:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleybgarcia
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:34 PM
My son was 21 lbs @ 4 months, & in the 97% by the who charts. I used to say I had whole milk!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)