Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I have a plugged duct?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:30 PM
  • 3 Replies
My baby and I have switched feeding positions and gone down to just one breast a feeding because my milk flows too quickly. Yesterday morning I woke up with pain in my right breast on the outer side and underneath. I have massaged and pumped to try and releive it, buy it is still tender to the touch. Do I have a plugged duct? What do I do to make it stop hurting?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:36 PM
does it only hurt when its engorged or is it constant? have you felt round for a lump? Usually thats an indicater for me. if its a clogged duct you should apply moist heat and massage while nursing. Taking hot showers while massaging helps too. also laying baby down and nursing leaning over helps get rid of it as well....gravity will help get rid of the clogged milk duct. If you are block feeding and the other side starts to become engorged try to express a little milk to relieve it so you wont get a clogged duct or mastitis. gl :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:44 PM
Thanks! I will try the shower and moist heat first. I am a little scared to lean over and feed since my milk flows so fast. Would leaning over and pumping work?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ecodani
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:48 PM
My midwife gave me an essential oil blend that I rub on as soon as the sorenes begins. It helps prevent the clog from getting bad and lossens it right up.

1 part eucalyptus oil
2 parts lavender oil
3 parts chamomile oil

Heat, nurse, point the baby's chin toward the hot spot while nursing, get on all 4s and dangle nurse-- yes, like a cow. Hot showers.

Make a boob tube: tube sock filled with dry uncoiled rice- sew the end up. Stick in the microwave for 90 seconds and wrp it around your boobs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)