Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to group and B'feeding in need of some help

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:40 PM
  • 2 Replies

Hello My name is Mary I am new to B'feeding my son will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. Since we were in teh hospital I have been having issues with my left breast and him latching on. At first he wouldn't latch at all. After he was finally latching on i realised my nipple didn't look normal. there were little cuts. The nurse said to just keep working on his latch and us the Lansinoh cream between feedings. I asked to see a LC but no one ever came and we were sent home. When we got home I continued to nurse on both sides but my left nipple was always swollen and it started hurting so bad I decided to pump the left when he nursed the right. That seemed to help everything was fine so 2 days later I began nursing on the left again. The problem is the top of my nipple gets swollen and looks like nothing is coming out even when I try manually. His latch seems to be fine everything looks and feels like it does when he latches on my right. The past few days I have noticed while pumping that the same thing is happening the top part of the nipple gets swollen and the bottom is fine i try to see in the pump but can't get a good look to see if anything is coming out. IDk if this all makes sense to any one but if you know what im talking about and have any tips on what I can do i would really appreciate it cause it hurts so bad.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Quoting meme421:

Hello My name is Mary I am new to B'feeding my son will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. Since we were in teh hospital I have been having issues with my left breast and him latching on. At first he wouldn't latch at all. After he was finally latching on i realised my nipple didn't look normal. there were little cuts. The nurse said to just keep working on his latch and us the Lansinoh cream between feedings.

Breastmilk on the nipple will also help.

I asked to see a LC but no one ever came and we were sent home. When we got home I continued to nurse on both sides but my left nipple was always swollen and it started hurting so bad I decided to pump the left when he nursed the right. That seemed to help everything was fine so 2 days later I began nursing on the left again. The problem is the top of my nipple gets swollen and looks like nothing is coming out even when I try manually. His latch seems to be fine everything looks and feels like it does when he latches on my right. The past few days I have noticed while pumping that the same thing is happening the top part of the nipple gets swollen and the bottom is fine i try to see in the pump but can't get a good look to see if anything is coming out. IDk if this all makes sense to any one but if you know what im talking about and have any tips on what I can do i would really appreciate it cause it hurts so bad.

Hmmm. I'm thinking infection. And I'm thinking you need to find an IBCLC right away. The link below will help you.

http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3432

meme421
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:59 PM
I've been using bm too. ty I'll check out th
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)