Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some medicine advice

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM
  • 6 Replies
So I'm at my aunt's house and I have a back spasm. She took me to the urgent care and they gave me a shot if Tordal (sp?) and have prescribed 750 mg naprelan and 10 mg flexeril. Coraline is 18 months so formula isn't a concern. But can I still nurse or do i need to get a hand pump for a couple days? They said not to BF, but we all know how that is. I'm mobile so it's hard for me to look up the lact-med info.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mom71307
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I couldn't find naprelan specifically but it may be IN naproxen and pseudophedrine... the former is not recommended for long term use because of a long half- life and the latter can decrease supply.  Neither is good for nursing newborn or preterm.

Drug Levels and Effects (Flexeril):

Summary of Use during Lactation:
If cyclobenzaprine is required by the mother, it is not necessarily a reason to discontinue breastfeeding. However, because there is no published experience with cyclobenzaprine during breastfeeding, other agents may be preferred, especially while nursing a newborn or preterm infant, or when other drugs that can cause sedation are used simultaneously.

Drug Levels:
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.

Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.

gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Naprelan is a fancy name for naproxen sodium.

Naproxen
CASRN: 22204-53-1

For other data, click on the Table of Contents

Drug Levels and Effects:

Summary of Use during Lactation:
Limited information indicates that levels of naproxen in breastmilk are low and adverse effects in breastfed infants are apparently uncommon. However, because of naproxen's long half-life and reported serious adverse reaction in a breastfed neonate, other agents may be preferred while nursing a newborn or preterm infant.

Christina807
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:33 PM
One of them I only take once a day and before bed. So I'm thinking it should be safe to nurse at least before nap and her bedtime so I don't need to cut her off cold turkey for a few days? She can do without the rest of the day and have snacks and water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Christina807
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:34 PM
Oh and thanks ladies!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I think you can nurse to your regular shedule. I'd be concerned that a drastic reduction will give you breast pain that makes your back pain feel like a pinprick.

Christina807
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:12 PM
Okay. Good, thanks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)