Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A couple of ?'s

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:52 PM
  • 17 Replies

Okay here goes:

1. My daughter will not latch without a nipple sheild, well no properly anyway, is there anything wrong with using one?
  2. She is 3 weeks old and constantly wants to nurse ( she likes to nurse herself to sleep. Like lay beside me in the bed and nurse until she falls soundly to sleep) does this mean I am not producing enough or what?
  3. How often should I pump?
  4. When I pump I pump around 3 to 5 bottles of 3  to 5 oz's daily so I don't think I have a problem with supply but Idk ( I am new to this)?
  5. should I be giving her vitamin d drops?
  6. Okay she weighed 6.7lbs at birth and was 6.2 when I brought her home. She now weighs 6.15 and her pediatrician said she was at the lower end of normal but I thought she was doing good what do u all think?
  7. Do breastfred babies gain weight faster than formulafed babies? my sister argues that she should be gaining weight faster adn my mom says maybe my milk is not "rich" enough for her what do u all think?
  8. Should I wake up to pump or should I wake her to nurse?
  9. Any advice or tips to make breastfeeding easier or anything? So far it has been pretty easy but I am afraid it will get harder?

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jaxismyheart
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:55 PM

BUMP!

WORKINGMOM9810
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Okay here goes:

1. My daughter will not latch without a nipple sheild, well no properly anyway, is there anything wrong with using one?There is nothing wrong with using a nipple shield, just a pain in the buttom some times.  Try to wean her from these it will save aggrivation in the future, one way is to let her on the shield, then try to take it off toward the end of the nursing session so that she is not hungry and trying to nurse without it.
  2. She is 3 weeks old and constantly wants to nurse ( she likes to nurse herself to sleep. Like lay beside me in the bed and nurse until she falls soundly to sleep) does this mean I am not producing enough or what?this is perfectly normal, you are her pacifier... lol
  3. How often should I pump?if you are a sahm, you dont need to. if you are planning on returning to work and want to build up a stash, whenever you want..
  4. When I pump I pump around 3 to 5 bottles of 3  to 5 oz's daily so I don't think I have a problem with supply but Idk ( I am new to this)? you are doing great.
  5. should I be giving her vitamin d drops?not necessary, but most dr's like to tell you to give it to them
  6. Okay she weighed 6.7lbs at birth and was 6.2 when I brought her home. She now weighs 6.15 and her pediatrician said she was at the lower end of normal but I thought she was doing good what do u all think?sounds good to me, but i am not a pro, just a 2x nurser
  7. Do breastfred babies gain weight faster than formulafed babies? my sister argues that she should be gaining weight faster adn my mom says maybe my milk is not "rich" enough for her what do u all think?your milk is perfect, remember you made it with gods help.
  9. Any advice or tips to make breastfeeding easier or anything? So far it has been pretty easy but I am afraid it will get harder?just keep smiling

Working mom of 3, 1 premie, two in their teens. 

WhompingWillow
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:07 PM

I'm no expert, but here's my take:

Quoting Jaxismyheart:

Okay here goes:

1. My daughter will not latch without a nipple sheild, well no properly anyway, is there anything wrong with using one? I don't have any experience with nipple shields, but haven't heard that there is anything wrong with using them...
  2. She is 3 weeks old and constantly wants to nurse ( she likes to nurse herself to sleep. Like lay beside me in the bed and nurse until she falls soundly to sleep) does this mean I am not producing enough or what? My daughter does the same thing at 8 months old so you are producing fine!
  3. How often should I pump?  As often as you  need to. I was overproducing at first for awhile so I would pump a couple times each day. This worked out because I had plenty stored in the freezer when I had to go back to work.
  4. When I pump I pump around 3 to 5 bottles of 3  to 5 oz's daily so I don't think I have a problem with supply but Idk ( I am new to this)? Your supply sounds great! Some people have trouble even getting an ounce from each side after 15 minutes. I was in the same boat as you once things calmed down.
  5. should I be giving her vitamin d drops? She shouldn't need vitamin D drops, make sure you personally are getting plenty of sunshine & she will get it through your breastmilk, and get her out in the sunshine when you can/if the weather allows.
  6. Okay she weighed 6.7lbs at birth and was 6.2 when I brought her home. She now weighs 6.15 and her pediatrician said she was at the lower end of normal but I thought she was doing good what do u all think? If she is on ANY end of normal, all I hear is she is NORMAL, lol... make sure they are looking at the chart for exclusively breastfed babies and not comparing her to formula fed babies.
  7. Do breastfred babies gain weight faster than formulafed babies? my sister argues that she should be gaining weight faster adn my mom says maybe my milk is not "rich" enough for her what do u all think? I don't konw about this, only have one child and she's still EBF
  8. Should I wake up to pump or should I wake her to nurse? I never wake the baby to nurse, if she is hungry she will wake up herself; in that regards if you're getting engorged and need to empty, then I would wake up and pump. If you're comfortable then don't wake yourself unnecessarily, only if you're uncomfortable and need relief or trying to boost your supply I guess. 
  9. Any advice or tips to make breastfeeding easier or anything? So far it has been pretty easy but I am afraid it will get harder? Things only got easier for me, sometimes there was ups & downs but in the long run we both learned more and more so things were easier, DD is a pro now and she is EBF at 8 months old. Don't stress yourself about it, as long as you and your baby are happy and healthy (and you're the best judge for that, you would know if something was wrong) then don't worry! Sounds like you're doing great though! :D
jjchick75
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Quoting Jaxismyheart:

Okay here goes:

1. My daughter will not latch without a nipple sheild, well no properly anyway, is there anything wrong with using one? Not sure about this one.
  2. She is 3 weeks old and constantly wants to nurse ( she likes to nurse herself to sleep. Like lay beside me in the bed and nurse until she falls soundly to sleep) does this mean I am not producing enough or what? Newborns eat often and for a long time. It's what they do! She is regulating your supply and also breastmilk is digest faster and more completely than formula is! The best way to know baby is getting enough is diapers! If she is having 6-8 diapers a day she is getting plenty.
  3. How often should I pump? Depends on why you are pumping.
  4. When I pump I pump around 3 to 5 bottles of 3  to 5 oz's daily so I don't think I have a problem with supply but Idk ( I am new to this)?  That is more than average sounds good!
  5. should I be giving her vitamin d drops? If you live somewhere where it's cold and you get little time outside you might want to.
  6. Okay she weighed 6.7lbs at birth and was 6.2 when I brought her home. She now weighs 6.15 and her pediatrician said she was at the lower end of normal but I thought she was doing good what do u all think? Sounds gret to me!
  7. Do breastfred babies gain weight faster than formulafed babies? my sister argues that she should be gaining weight faster adn my mom says maybe my milk is not "rich" enough for her what do u all think? It depends on the baby. My breastfed babies have defenitly grown faster than my formula fed baby. But my formula fed baby was very sick most of the time so not a good way to compare. You're milk is made perfectly for your baby and is perfect for her! Ignore your mother!
  8. Should I wake up to pump or should I wake her to nurse? Not sure as I don't pump.
  9. Any advice or tips to make breastfeeding easier or anything? So far it has been pretty easy but I am afraid it will get harder? It will only get easier from here!

Sounds like you are doing wonderfully! Congrats on the new baby and good luck!

CafeMom Tickers
Jaxismyheart
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Oh the reason I pump is and I know it sounds selfish and silly is my husband gets home at 12:00 am and he likes to get the baby and feed her and let me rest so he can have daddy time...

jjchick75
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Quoting Jaxismyheart:

Oh the reason I pump is and I know it sounds selfish and silly is my husband gets home at 12:00 am and he likes to get the baby and feed her and let me rest so he can have daddy time...

If you are just pumping for once in a while I would just pump a once or twice a day. If you are planning on going back to work and trying to build a supply you need to pump more than that I believe! Also if the milk he is giving baby is not frehly pumped you will need to pump to replace that feeding!

CafeMom Tickers
lorsmommy08
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Quoting Jaxismyheart:

Okay here goes:

1. My daughter will not latch without a nipple sheild, well no properly anyway, is there anything wrong with using one?  Nothing wrong, but as PP mentioned, they can be a pain in the long run.
  2. She is 3 weeks old and constantly wants to nurse ( she likes to nurse herself to sleep. Like lay beside me in the bed and nurse until she falls soundly to sleep) does this mean I am not producing enough or what?  Nothing wrong here. This means you have a standard issued newborn. 3 weeks is also prime time for a growth spurt. Newborns just tend to be on the breast constantly anyways.
  3. How often should I pump?I would just pump after her feedings but it depends on the reason you're pumping and the goal you're trying to reach.
  4. When I pump I pump around 3 to 5 bottles of 3  to 5 oz's daily so I don't think I have a problem with supply but Idk ( I am new to this)? That's great-normal pumping output is like 2oz or something
  5. should I be giving her vitamin d drops? Peds. will recommend but I don't give them because I don't think they're needed. 10minutes of sunshine a day is good.
  6. Okay she weighed 6.7lbs at birth and was 6.2 when I brought her home. She now weighs 6.15 and her pediatrician said she was at the lower end of normal but I thought she was doing good what do u all think? I think weight gain sounds fine. She could just be a small child. I should know- my almost 2 year old still only weighs like 18lbs
  7. Do breastfred babies gain weight faster than formulafed babies? my sister argues that she should be gaining weight faster adn my mom says maybe my milk is not "rich" enough for her what do u all think? breastfed babies tend to gain a lot at once and then slow down- or at least that's what mine do and I have 2 nurslings.
  9. Any advice or tips to make breastfeeding easier or anything? So far it has been pretty easy but I am afraid it will get harder? Just keep nursing-throw away all clocks. On demand is the best and what I still use w/ my youngest who is almost 2. And make sure you're drinking plenty of water as well :).

~*~Krista~*~ Mom to Lorelai (5-28-2007), and Peyton (April 20, 2009)!

Krysta622
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Quoting Jaxismyheart:

If nursing is going well, it's fine to introduce a bottle, if you want to, but it can cause nipple preference, at any point.  Also, milk needs to be removed from your breasts whenever baby eats, so if you're not nursing, you need to pump at that time to keep sending your body the signal that this is a feeding time, and you need to produce.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

mama02040608
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Quoting Jaxismyheart:

Okay here goes:

1. My daughter will not latch without a nipple sheild, well no properly anyway, is there anything wrong with using one?They *can* interfere with milk transfer, so you should work on trying to get off of them.  They're also a colossal pain in the arse sometimes.
  2. She is 3 weeks old and constantly wants to nurse ( she likes to nurse herself to sleep. Like lay beside me in the bed and nurse until she falls soundly to sleep) does this mean I am not producing enough or what?She is doing what newborns do.  You know she is getting enough when she is putting out 6-8 dipes in 24 hours, a few of which should be poopy at this point. 
  3. How often should I pump?Depends on why you're pumping.  Once a day  if you're trying to build a stash for going back to work.  Never if you're a SAHM. 
  4. When I pump I pump around 3 to 5 bottles of 3  to 5 oz's daily so I don't think I have a problem with supply but Idk ( I am new to this)? Um, no you have oversupply.  I would cut down on the pumping so you're not making sooo much milk.  IF it's not removed it can lead to mastitis and clogged ducts. 
  5. should I be giving her vitamin d drops?Nope. Vit D IF you don't get out much.
  6. Okay she weighed 6.7lbs at birth and was 6.2 when I brought her home. She now weighs 6.15 and her pediatrician said she was at the lower end of normal but I thought she was doing good what do u all think?If that weight was at her 2 week checkup, then your pedi is nuts.  she should have been back to birthweight at 2 weeks.  More is gravy.  Even if that weight was this week, she'd still be normal.  4-6 oz per week gain for BF babies. 
  7. Do breastfred babies gain weight faster than formulafed babies? my sister argues that she should be gaining weight faster adn my mom says maybe my milk is not "rich" enough for her what do u all think?IGNORE THEM. 
  8. Should I wake up to pump or should I wake her to nurse?Baby removes milk better than a pump.  I would wake during the day, let her sleep at night, and if you wake up uncomfortable or leaking, pump for comfort. 
  9. Any advice or tips to make breastfeeding easier or anything? So far it has been pretty easy but I am afraid it will get harder?As long as you do as baby dictates, follow her cues, feed her on demand, and listen to  yourself or someone trained in lactation (i.e. NOT your sister OR your mom), it will be smooth sailing.  Personally, I would cut back on the pumping and just let her nurse.  Also work on latching without the shield.  My fear is that once your supply settles down, she might not get enough milk because of them.  Also, the breasts make milk specific to the baby based on baby's saliva on the nipple.  With the nipple shields in place, she might not get the specific immunities and such that she might need.

lorsmommy08
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:10 PM

This is what I was going to say- nipple confusion can be a witch to concur, trust me. My youngest was given 1 bottle in the hospital w/ out my permission and after that she hated working for her food and always got mad when the flow slowed down. I never gave her a bottle after that because of this.

Quoting Krysta622:

Quoting Jaxismyheart:

If nursing is going well, it's fine to introduce a bottle, if you want to, but it can cause nipple preference, at any point.  Also, milk needs to be removed from your breasts whenever baby eats, so if you're not nursing, you need to pump at that time to keep sending your body the signal that this is a feeding time, and you need to produce.

~*~Krista~*~ Mom to Lorelai (5-28-2007), and Peyton (April 20, 2009)!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)