Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tell me your BF experience!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:44 PM
  • 3 Replies

How did it start for you?  Did it come easy or did you struggle for a while?  Were your nipples sore for a long time?  When did it get easier for you and your baby?

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Sore nipples and mastitis were the EASY part. I'd have lived with those for the whole 26 months rather than my first two weeks of nursing!

My son refused the breast for the first two weeks of his life. At six days, as I attempted to nurse him, he stopped breathing. Milk had hit his vagus nerve (what makes you choke and cough when something goes down the wrong pipe) and he stopped breathing. DH had to do mouth to mouth to get him breathing again, while I called 911. We went to the hospital, and he spent three days at the Loma Linda NICU being treated for jaundice and dehydration.

That is where things started turning around. I met a WONDERFUL lactation consultant who diagnosed my overactive letdown, and gave me coping techniques. It still was a struggle for the next couple of days... but two weeks in a light went on over his head and he started nursing willingly.

And he continued to 26 months. There were rough patches here in there, particularly the five weeks of cluster feeding from day 14 to seven weeks! But we made it.

mama02040608
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:13 PM

With my oldest, I had horrifically sore, cracked and bleeding nipples.  I actually just pumped for a few days to let them heal.  It took a few weeks to get them back to normal.   Then I got bad info on meds and BF and EPed for a week.  So my start wasn't exactly promising.  We nursed to about a year.  I got pregnant when he was baout 10 months and lost my supply really quickly.  With my others, I had the sore nipples, but not the other challenges so much.  It really does get better. 

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:21 PM

With my first child, we had a rough start! Things like unplanned but medically necessary c-section, milk being slow to come in, difficulty in simple tasks like sitting and holding baby, and quite sore nipples made breastfeeding not the most pleasant thing in the world. I was worried that if 'that' was what breastfeeding was all about, we would never make it!

Thankfully, I got in touch with La Leche League! I learned what was going normally, what was going wrong, what I could do to help breastfeeding go smoother for both of us, and that I was not alone in my struggles. I can honestly say that phonecall that day changed my life, in so many ways! 

CLICK AN ICON TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)