Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breastfeeding start up again

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:50 PM
  • 9 Replies

i had to stop breastfeeding about 9 days ago because i got really sick and the medicine i was on the baby couldnt have so i was pumping, well we all know that pumping isnt as well as baby so my supply went down a significant amount. i really want to start back up again but i know my supply isnt enouph for her...so i will have to suppliment, but my question is, will i be able to start back up again or is it a lost cause

please help me

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mama02040608
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Put baby to breast, lay out 6 diapers in the morning.  If by the next morning you have used them all, then you do not need to supplement.  If you don't get those diapers filled, then supplement very sparingly, preferably at the breast.  You probably are fine if you were pumping at least 6 times a day. 

I don't mean to be a nudge, but are you sure you needed to stop at all?  I ask this because the same thing happened to me and it turns out my doctor and pedi were wrong.  Always research any meds on your own. 

gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:04 PM

You don't need to suppllement. Put baby to breast. Your body responds to her demand. As noted above... COUNT DIPES. That's your only indication of supply. Nothing else counts.

It's ONLY a lost cause when your breasts are removed or baby has died.

Mrs.S11
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:12 PM

not to be funny but im nervous, because when i pump i only get a few drops. I dont want to starve her.

yes i had to stop, i was taking medications that had asprin in it, and because its a blood thinner. i did do some research on it and alot of what i did come up with it says that you shouldnt take asprin while breastfeeding.

i will lay out 6 diapers 2marrow to see how she does.

chrismom76
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:16 PM

If you have to supplement, medela has a supplemental feeding system for short term use ($25) and they can ship really quickly.  I may be facing supplementing soon if DD doesn't turn around.  I'll be using that so she doesn't get used to the bottle and my breast still gets stimulation from her.

mama02040608
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:21 PM

I had to ask, b/c that is one of my pet peeves :) Often, moms (like me) believe their providers, and they know nothing about BF and meds...

That being said, pumping isn't an indicator of supply.  Only diapers are.  Be unimpressed about her behavior in the next few days as well.  She is NOT going to like going from the bottle to breast, necessarily.  It DOES NOT mean that you have no milk; it means that she doesn't want to work for her food.  Watch diapers.  It might be nerve wracking because you will be doubting yourself and your supply...but just watch diapers.  IF the dipes are not there, then suppliment sparingly (try not to use bottles...medicine cup, dropper, syringe, sippy cup, supplemental nursing system) to adequate diapers and then slowly pare them down once you get the right number of dipes. 

Quoting Mrs.S11:

not to be funny but im nervous, because when i pump i only get a few drops. I dont want to starve her.

yes i had to stop, i was taking medications that had asprin in it, and because its a blood thinner. i did do some research on it and alot of what i did come up with it says that you shouldnt take asprin while breastfeeding.

Mrs.S11
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:30 PM

even after 9 days of not breastfeeding/pumping at all?

Quoting mama02040608:

I had to ask, b/c that is one of my pet peeves :) Often, moms (like me) believe their providers, and they know nothing about BF and meds...

That being said, pumping isn't an indicator of supply.  Only diapers are.  Be unimpressed about her behavior in the next few days as well.  She is NOT going to like going from the bottle to breast, necessarily.  It DOES NOT mean that you have no milk; it means that she doesn't want to work for her food.  Watch diapers.  It might be nerve wracking because you will be doubting yourself and your supply...but just watch diapers.  IF the dipes are not there, then suppliment sparingly (try not to use bottles...medicine cup, dropper, syringe, sippy cup, supplemental nursing system) to adequate diapers and then slowly pare them down once you get the right number of dipes. 

Quoting Mrs.S11:

mama02040608
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:41 PM

I thought you had been pumping...I'm confused.  Even so, I would still put her to breast every time she even squeaks.  Watch diapers.  You may have to supplement, then.  But try to use another method.  You want her to see the breast as food, not the easy bottle.  If you are really intent on doing this, I would invest in an SNS to remove the bottle from the equation.  You will still have milk, but it probably has diminished if you've not been pumping. 

Quoting Mrs.S11:

Quoting mama02040608:

Quoting Mrs.S11:

gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Nine days? Nothin'. Nine MONTHS would be a challenge.

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Quoting mama02040608:

I thought you had been pumping...I'm confused.  Even so, I would still put her to breast every time she even squeaks.  Watch diapers.  You may have to supplement, then.  But try to use another method.  You want her to see the breast as food, not the easy bottle.  If you are really intent on doing this, I would invest in an SNS to remove the bottle from the equation.  You will still have milk, but it probably has diminished if you've not been pumping. 

Quoting Mrs.S11:

Quoting mama02040608:

Quoting Mrs.S11:

CLICK AN ICON TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)