Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Solids & Breastfeeding

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:49 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hi, my DD just turned 6 months last saturday, she was EBF until now, that  I started Baby Led solids. At this age, how much should she eat, I mean how many times a day should I offer? I do not want to overfeed her but I am not sure how many times a day should I let her feed solids? Any input appreciated! TIA.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Kathy, 33 years old, first baby, breastfeeding, SAHM, non-cio, pro-vacc, happily married-

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
rHOPEb
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Do you make the foods?  I reccomend the "Super Baby Food" book.  It will tell you what foods and how much and when to give them to your child.  About a tablespoon is good to start off with then gradually add on.  Good luck and God Bless......

DragonRiderMD
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Whatever feels right to you and baby. My daughter started solids at 7.5 months, what I know now was basically the baby-led solids method, and it wasn't even once a day, just essentially whenever I got around to it, lol. The thing with baby-led solids is that baby won't overfeed herself. When she's full, she'll just stop eating with no one trying to force food into her mouth. You can offer at every meal if you want, or not if you don't. There's no "should" involved in how much, just remember to keep nursing first before any solids are offered. :)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Nurse and start with once a day, when you feel like it offer more but always right after nursing

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Often with baby led solids, baby is offered food when the family eats.. after nursing first, you could offer solids during your family's regular meal or snack times. 

CLICK AN ICON TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

Char07
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:39 PM
Whenever you feel like it, at 6 mo my dd got food 1-2 times per week, around 7 mo it upped to 4-5 times per week and at 8 mo daily now at 8 1/2 she eats 1-3 times per day depending on what she's doing when we eat. I love baby led solids, I do daycare and have to spoon feed purees to a 7 mo who is not too interested and I feel bad (plus it's a pain trying to catch her mouth :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifetimelove
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:03 PM
That's what I did.

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Often with baby led solids, baby is offered food when the family eats.. after nursing first, you could offer solids during your family's regular meal or snack times. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)