Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dr. told me my DS is to old to be BFing...

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:37 PM
  • 72 Replies

So I took my LO into the Dr's office and seen a nurse because the Dr was busy and after telling her he was not feeling well and that he would not eat anything for 3 days but breast-milk, she said you need to start weaning him he is way to old to be breastfed. My DS is 15 months old. I told her that the AAP states mothers should BF till 1 or BEYOND and the W.H.O. recommends 2 or BEYOND! She said no that's untrue. So the next day I printed her out info and took it in to her and she still is saying its not right. She said that BFing him this long can cause social issues for him later. I am so mad. I think BFing moms face enough trials as it is w/o having them at the DR's office. I thought they would commend me for BFing this long not condemn me. I am so angry at this woman ya'll don't even know.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyAkaTiffany
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:39 PM

How frustrating!!

mombloggerJ
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:40 PM

I would take the information to whoever her manager is and complain. . .That's ridiculous.

angelamiles05
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:41 PM

I left a voicemail with the office manager and plan to have a sit down with her.

Quoting mombloggerJ:

I would take the information to whoever her manager is and complain. . .That's ridiculous.

Char07
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:42 PM
I would be too, you may have alrady made up your mind about it but imagine a mom who's on the fence on it and them giving their great advice, bleh...

Have you talked to anyone else in the office, I would complain to the dr that the nurse was giving bad info.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
metermaid
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:43 PM

She is obviously completely ignorant.  But remember, we don't do what we do for approval from others, we do it because we are right!  I BF DS until he was 29 mos.  And he's perfect! :D

Sorry you had to go through that mamma.  Good for you for bf your DD for 15 months!  Great job.  :)

shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Wow. I would be switching doctors. You're doing the right thing and the best for your son. Keep nursing for as long as you want!

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Unless your child is fifteen YEARS old, this doctor is very wrong. Your information is correct. I go by the WHO's recommendation of two years, minimum!  

CLICK AN ICON TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

ceemuhreeashbee
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Okay.. I'm one of those people that thinks breast-feeding too long is weird. There, I said it.

HOWEVER-- 15 months?! SERIOUSLY?! That is NOT too old! If I were in your position, I would be thankful he was at least breastfeeding while he was sick!

.Sugaree.
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:45 PM
Wow I'm glad u gave her the info I stead of just taking that crap!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:45 PM

I would change doctors!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)