Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

back and forth on breastfeeding

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM
  • 24 Replies

My dd is 4 mo. old and breastfed.  When I go to school 2 nights a week, or when I leave the house without her, my husband gives her a formula bottle...or sometimes I give my tatas a rest and give her a bottle.  Well, now I am afraid my supply is dwindling.  When I nurse her, she grunts a lot and pulls on and off.  It hurts when she does that... nipples only strech so far, lol!!  Anyway, after about 15 mins. of this, here lately I will just give her a small bottle to top her off.  I know that if I want to up my supply this is the worst thing I can do, but I cant let my child go hungry!  Sometimes I really want to just switch her over to bottles... I hate to say it but its just easier.  Not that I dont want to take time out of my day to feed my child, I dont mind that.  But I have another child I have to care for too.  My life can not stop to breastfeed everytime she is hungry, thats when bottles are a real relief!  I dont know what to do.  I have the mommy guilt when I think about stopping bfing, part of me really wants to continue for 6 mo. to a year old... and another part of me wants to just switch her... any advice?? 

How can I up my supply enough to keep her satisfied, and also pump enough bottles for her to have while I am gone?  Ever heard of women who cant pump well??  Well, a month ago my bm alone kept her satisfied, but when I pumped after a missed feeding, I could only pump about 2.5 oz. and she can easily eat 5-6.  I know she gets more milk than my pump can draw out...maybe a hospital grade pump would solve that.... I really dont know, I havent breastfed a child in over 6 years... Im learning everything over again!  Help me out cafe mommas!

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Quoting ohmsgrace05:

My dd is 4 mo. old and breastfed.  When I go to school 2 nights a week, or when I leave the house without her, my husband gives her a formula bottle...or sometimes I give my tatas a rest and give her a bottle.  Well, now I am afraid my supply is dwindling.  When I nurse her, she grunts a lot and pulls on and off.

That's actually normal four month behavior. Doesn't necessarily mean a supply problem. However, you're not doing yourself any favors by giving a formula bottle when you are there.

It hurts when she does that... nipples only strech so far, lol!!  Anyway, after about 15 mins. of this, here lately I will just give her a small bottle to top her off.  I know that if I want to up my supply this is the worst thing I can do, but I cant let my child go hungry!

Oh, don't let her fool you. She's not going hungry. She's just trying to get the speed that the bottle has. Again... the bottles are not doing you any favors.

Sometimes I really want to just switch her over to bottles... I hate to say it but its just easier.  Not that I dont want to take time out of my day to feed my child, I dont mind that.  But I have another child I have to care for too.  My life can not stop to breastfeed everytime she is hungry, thats when bottles are a real relief!  I dont know what to do.  I have the mommy guilt when I think about stopping bfing, part of me really wants to continue for 6 mo. to a year old... and another part of me wants to just switch her... any advice?? 

You have to go look at the woman in your mirror and ask her what SHE wants. She's the one you have to live with.

How can I up my supply enough to keep her satisfied, and also pump enough bottles for her to have while I am gone?

Stop the bottles when you are there. Honestly, it's that simple.

Ever heard of women who cant pump well??  Well, a month ago my bm alone kept her satisfied, but when I pumped after a missed feeding, I could only pump about 2.5 oz. and she can easily eat 5-6. 

WHOA! That's too much at a feeding. Cut those bottles down. No, she WILL NOT STARVE. Her tummy has been stretched. Like giving half a cake when a slice will do.

Normal pump output is one half ounce to two ounces. Baby's need is 1 to 1.25 ounces per hour of separation.

I know she gets more milk than my pump can draw out...maybe a hospital grade pump would solve that.... I really dont know, I havent breastfed a child in over 6 years... Im learning everything over again!  Help me out cafe mommas!

You don't need a hospital grade pump. You just need to shift your expectations to realistic ones. And no more bottles when you're there.

But that advice is assuming you want to continue nursing.

NADA2
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Stick with it, you are not neglecting your other child, so don't feel that way. 

To increase your milk supply, have oatmeal (with flaxseed meal) for breakfast and always take water...sugar, caffefine will diminish the amount of milk you produce.  You'll never get what the baby consumes by pumping...so don't compare.  The stress of this is also another factor diminishing your supply so try not to worry so much about it.  Try More Milk Plus, or Fenugreek 2-3 cap - 3xday).  I have had good luck with just having a bowl of oatmeal and more milk plus. 

Some of the BM mommas might say you should bottle feed 1 - 2 oz, but no more than 3.  I am not sure, I typically give 2 oz and if he wants more, then 1 oz. 

Keep at it...you are doing great!  The best things in life aren't easy...but they are well worth it!

ohmsgrace05
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Quoting NADA2:

Stick with it, you are not neglecting your other child, so don't feel that way. 

To increase your milk supply, have oatmeal (with flaxseed meal) for breakfast and always take water...sugar, caffefine will diminish the amount of milk you produce.  You'll never get what the baby consumes by pumping...so don't compare.  The stress of this is also another factor diminishing your supply so try not to worry so much about it.  Try More Milk Plus, or Fenugreek 2-3 cap - 3xday).  I have had good luck with just having a bowl of oatmeal and more milk plus. 

Some of the BM mommas might say you should bottle feed 1 - 2 oz, but no more than 3.  I am not sure, I typically give 2 oz and if he wants more, then 1 oz. 

Keep at it...you are doing great!  The best things in life aren't easy...but they are well worth it!

Thanks so much, I will try these tips!  The encouragement is what I think I really need... sometimes I helps to just vent to moms who have been there done that!  Thanks so much!

ohmsgrace05
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting ohmsgrace05:

My dd is 4 mo. old and breastfed.  When I go to school 2 nights a week, or when I leave the house without her, my husband gives her a formula bottle...or sometimes I give my tatas a rest and give her a bottle.  Well, now I am afraid my supply is dwindling.  When I nurse her, she grunts a lot and pulls on and off.

That's actually normal four month behavior. Doesn't necessarily mean a supply problem. However, you're not doing yourself any favors by giving a formula bottle when you are there.

It hurts when she does that... nipples only strech so far, lol!!  Anyway, after about 15 mins. of this, here lately I will just give her a small bottle to top her off.  I know that if I want to up my supply this is the worst thing I can do, but I cant let my child go hungry!

Oh, don't let her fool you. She's not going hungry. She's just trying to get the speed that the bottle has. Again... the bottles are not doing you any favors.

Sometimes I really want to just switch her over to bottles... I hate to say it but its just easier.  Not that I dont want to take time out of my day to feed my child, I dont mind that.  But I have another child I have to care for too.  My life can not stop to breastfeed everytime she is hungry, thats when bottles are a real relief!  I dont know what to do.  I have the mommy guilt when I think about stopping bfing, part of me really wants to continue for 6 mo. to a year old... and another part of me wants to just switch her... any advice?? 

You have to go look at the woman in your mirror and ask her what SHE wants. She's the one you have to live with.

How can I up my supply enough to keep her satisfied, and also pump enough bottles for her to have while I am gone?

Stop the bottles when you are there. Honestly, it's that simple.

Ever heard of women who cant pump well??  Well, a month ago my bm alone kept her satisfied, but when I pumped after a missed feeding, I could only pump about 2.5 oz. and she can easily eat 5-6. 

WHOA! That's too much at a feeding. Cut those bottles down. No, she WILL NOT STARVE. Her tummy has been stretched. Like giving half a cake when a slice will do.

Normal pump output is one half ounce to two ounces. Baby's need is 1 to 1.25 ounces per hour of separation.

I know she gets more milk than my pump can draw out...maybe a hospital grade pump would solve that.... I really dont know, I havent breastfed a child in over 6 years... Im learning everything over again!  Help me out cafe mommas!

You don't need a hospital grade pump. You just need to shift your expectations to realistic ones. And no more bottles when you're there.

But that advice is assuming you want to continue nursing.

This makes me feel so much better... and yes, I feel in my heart that I really want to continue bfing my baby girl... if I didnt, I dont think I would feel such strong guilt for considering switching.  Thanks so much, you have no idea how your words of encouragement have helped me!

gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:15 PM

One more thing that can help is a sling.

mommajen32
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 1:16 AM

I supplemented at first momma, and I found it easier once I  just took the plunge and went with straight bf'ing - pumping for the time I'm going to be away from him.

You can do it momma! :)

KMCrenshaw
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 1:56 AM
Dont feel bad about giving a bottle if babys hungry... I give my lo all the breast milk my body can produce, and a bottle 90% of the time...I have to work and get back to life too..it's either sit at home all day and breastfeed with a full supply or feed him as much as I can produce and ff....it's hard I know I wish I could do the first one.....but realistically some is better than none at all! Good luck mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 1:59 AM
My daughter went through the pulling the breast thing at that age and she has never had a single bottle nor have I ever had a supply problem. It's normal :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifetimelove
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 2:00 AM
If I can breastfeed my 3 month old without needing any bottles with a 3year old and a mentally and physically handicapped 2 year old who is fed with a feeding tube and has frequent seizures...than anyone can. It's just a matter of deciding you can do it...and do it! And no, my house isn't falling apart and my children are happy.

You already know what you need to do, now do it!

And I give you major props for identifying your problem and choosing to make a positive change. Most women in your shoes would just give up and give formula. I'm sincere when I say that you are showing a lot of maturity in pressing forward, and I think that's AWESOME!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sirshay
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 2:00 AM

If you feel like you have to stop your life to breastfeed, I'd recommend looking into purchasing a wrap or a sling (like a Moby, a Sleepy Wrap, or any number of slings) so that you can put the baby in the wrap/sling and she can nurse while you continue to go about your life. You get the added bonus of extra contact with your baby, which will make her happier too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)