Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

lost wieght!!!!!!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:01 PM
  • 7 Replies

she lost a few ozs we have have another appt next week if theres still no change then im going to have to switch her to a specail formula i dont want to but at this point its comming down to her health and mine idk what to do ive tried eating high calorie foods no dairy and theres nothing else i know to do :(

blue

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Numbers, please? And tell me about your nursing management... how often, on demand or on any kind of scheduling?

maggiemom2000
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:18 PM

How old? What are all of her weights?

How many times is she nursing in 24 hours?

How many diapers?

Rarely is switching off of breastmilk and onto a formula the right answer.

YOU eating high calorie foods will do absolutely NOTHING to help your baby gain weight. You cannot change the fat/calorie content of your milk based on your diet.

If you give more info we may be able to help!

bluemoon49
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:26 PM

shes 5 months and was 6.2 at birth and was gaining about 1lb a month up untill this last month.  she was 13.6 last friday today she was 13.2 the reason for me eating the high calorie foods is im 94lbs and trying to gain wieght and i had to cut diary out completely cause drs pretty sure she has a diary allergy/intolerance she nurses all day most days to the point that im stuck on the couch most of the day sleeps all night she has plenty of wet diapers

maggiemom2000
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:37 PM

I see NOTHING to be concerned about here!

She probably just ate and hadn't pooped yet before getting weighed last friday, and then today it was the opposite!

She has doubled her birthweight by 5 months, she is happy and healthy and meeting milestones, she has enough wet and dirty diapers.

It is important to understand that growth charts were developed primarily using artificially fed babies and studies have shown that breastfed babies grow at a different rate, especially after 4 months. It is common for breastfed babies to be quite chubby in the first few months then slim down in the following months.

I will quote three paragraphs found in LLLI's BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, Revised Edition on pages 114 and 115. The appropriate references are also included.

"The very rapid growth a baby experiences during the first 3 months typically slows down during months 4-12. According to recent research (Cohn 1995; Dewy 1992) an average weight gain for a breastfeeding baby 4-6 months is about 3-5 ounces (85 to 142 grams) per week. An average weight gain for the breastfeeding baby 6-12 months is 1 1/2 -3 ounces (42-85 grams) per week. Growth in length averages about one-half inch (1.27 cm) per month and growth in head circumference is about one-quarter inch (64 mm) per month. At one year, the typical breastfed baby weighs about 2 1/2 times his birth weight, has increased his birth length by 50%, and his head circumference by 33%."

Growth charts can be a useful tool to monitor a baby's growth "at a glance," but they have some shortcomings. For example, they do not take into account regional differences in growth. Also, the charts do not adjust for genetic differences (short parents tend to have shorter children than tall parents) or racial or ethnic differences. Another significant shortcoming is that the current charts are based primarily on the growth of artificially fed babies who for the most part started solids early, so they do not accurately reflect normal growth patterns for exclusively breastfed babies.

More recent studies comparing exclusively breastfed and exclusively formula-fed infants found growth in length and head circumference to be about the same in both groups but found significant differences in energy consumption and weight gain after 3 months of age. From the fourth month to the twelfth month the breastfed babies gained more slowly, even after solids were started, and at one year the breastfed babies were leaner than artificially fed babies. The amount of milk consumed during this period by the breastfed babies was also about 20% less than that consumed by the artificially fed babies. Yet the breastfed babies were healthy, active, and thriving. The authors concluded that current growth charts do not accurately reflect the norm for breastfed babies and that new growth charts are needed.

(Cohen, R. et al. Determinants of growth from birth to 12 months among breastfed Honduran infants in relation to age of introduction of complementary foods. Pediatrics 1995; 96(3): 504-10. Dewey, K. et al. Growth of breastfed and formula fed infants from 0 -18 months: the DARLING study. Pediatrics 1992a; 89(6): 1035-41. Dewey, K. et al. Breastfed infants are leaner that formula-fed infants at one year of age: the DARLING study. Am J Clinical Nutr 1993; 57:140-45.)

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Sounds like she is nursing well!

CLICK AN ICON TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

ecodani
by on Mar. 4, 2011 at 12:02 AM
I don't see a problem at all. This sounds like a growth spurt with the constant nursing. My DD can fluctuate about 6 oz in a day due to eating and pooping. That's totally normal.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 4, 2011 at 12:06 AM

HMMM double birthweight BEFORE 6 months...sound great to me!  Seriously.  The 4 oz there could be taking a big dump before the last weigh or it could be a full belly from eatting and needing to poop last time.  If diapers have been fine watch that weight for another week and do not stress.

BTW theres not a reason to 100% change to formula anyways..thats nuts, if it was needed suppliment but no need to go 100% formula.

norm is 4-6 oz a week from 0-3 months then 3-5 oz a week til 6 months so less than a lb gain in a month is NOT a huge deal at this age, in fact 12 oz could be normal in a month.

Quoting bluemoon49:

shes 5 months and was 6.2 at birth and was gaining about 1lb a month up untill this last month.  she was 13.6 last friday today she was 13.2 the reason for me eating the high calorie foods is im 94lbs and trying to gain wieght and i had to cut diary out completely cause drs pretty sure she has a diary allergy/intolerance she nurses all day most days to the point that im stuck on the couch most of the day sleeps all night she has plenty of wet diapers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)