Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PPD?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:22 PM
  • 7 Replies
Well my dd is going on 22 months old and still nursing but i was just wondering if it is posible to still have PPD after this long (i have not ben diagnosed or seen the doc about it) so i dont know if it would just be reg depression and which doctor should i talk to about it. because for the longest time now my emotions have been like a rollercoster. one minute i am happy as can be and then the next i am upset or mad and i get where i have no motivation to do anything and other times i am happy as can and dont wanna sit. It is just getting to the point where i feel likke the worst mother and wife in the world and i know i need to get it taken care of cause it is starting to hurt my relationship with my husband and my 2 little girls. I just dont know which doc i should call. I have started to call my obgyn doc but after a few ring i just hang up cause then i just feel like an idiot for waiting this long to finally be asking for help. but anyways Thank you for reading this and for any advice!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
WilliamsMama08
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:27 PM

I would go get your thyroid checked :)

debbie8701
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:30 PM
Which doc do i go see about that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsAdorkable
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:35 PM

There are times PPD would last this long, especially since it is untreated. 
Reg depression or possibly bipolar are also possible. Just curious, these sudden feelings of depression aren't during bf are they? I know we had another mama who has dmer.
Agreed, also get thyroid checked out.

IMO, mention it to any doctor. Your OB or GP. Doctors are profesionals, they are not going to get down on you about not coming forward with this sooner -They will just be glad you finally stepped up! They will be able to refer you to appropriate doc.

gl mama

Jenny301
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:35 PM

It can absolutely still be ppd.  It takes longer for it to go away if it is left untreated.  I was diagnosed with it a year ago last month.  I have been on zoloft since then (still bf'ing), and have been in talk therapy as well.  i recently cut down my therapy to once a month although I still go to a support group two times a month.  And I will probably still be on medication until June.  

There is no shame in asking for help.  It doesn't matter when you ask for it.  What's important is that you recognize you need help and ask for it.  Asking for help shows how strong you are.  It takes more strength to ask for help than to hide away in your house.  :)

I hope you are strong enough to get the help you need or if you are past the point of being able to ask, I hope someone intervenes and asks for you.  I went to my pcp for other reasons but ended up sobbing in her office when I was diagnosed.  If you can find a psychiatrist in your area, they are the best to contact for medicine because that's what they do.  They would know which medicine would be best and the correct dosage.  

Good luck!!  I hope you can get the help you need.

Show your pride in breastfeeding.  Get the shirt! 

WilliamsMama08
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:37 PM

You would see your primary doc for the initial test.  But I would most definitely get a copy of the results and what scale they use.

brianahernandez
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:39 PM

It can definitely be PPD still. I am all about natural, and I know most people aren't, so I'll make this short and sweet. 5HTP is available everywhere (even local grocery stores), and it's safe while BFing. I took 8 per day for the first 2 days, then 4-6 per day for the next 2-3 days. After that, I only needed maybe 1-2 per day for another week or two and the PPD was gone. Another HUGE help was just getting out of the house. A walk around the block, a trip to the park, or just sitting outside while the kids run around. :) I hope you feel better soon. You aren't alone.

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Quoting WilliamsMama08:

You would see your primary doc for the initial test.  But I would most definitely get a copy of the results and what scale they use.

CLICK AN ICON TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)