Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMG, seriously?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:19 AM
  • 12 Replies
I was talking to a friend tonight about my son's spit up. She said, 'maybe breastmilk just doesn't agree with his tummy and he needs formula. That's what happened to me when mine was 3 days old'.

Seriously? How does a mixture of cows milk and chemicals sit better in his stomach? That comment annoyed me. Breastmilk is the perfect food for him. Maybe its something I'm eating or reflux! Grrr!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
libs
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:27 AM

My kids I noticed spit up more when I drank something with caffeine or ate something spicy or could make them get gas. My daughter stomach was so sensitive she couldn't have anything but breastmilk (which is a great thing :)  cause formula was so hard on her stomach!

cheergurl84
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:36 AM
I already don't drink milk, eat cheese, yogurt, or ice cream. I cut out caffeine too. The one formula bottle he got when I was too sick to feed him and didn't have my pump yet made him spit up like crazy. No way will I switch to formula if I can avoid it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TotallyConfused
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:36 AM
Wow.

My grandmother keeps wanting me to leave molly with her but I'm not pumping so I can't and she keeps saying oh you could just buy her some powdered milk she'd be just fine

Grrr lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:36 AM

that comment annoys me too. "some babies just don't like breastmilk" is similar and one I hear a lot. Or "my baby prefers formula" aka the bottle, doesn't have to have formula in it!

Daynaof3
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:54 AM

OP have you looked into forceful letdown being the issue for you? Here's a couple links that may help: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html'

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html -this one says reflux but it has spit-up info too. =)

Sorry your friend got sucked into myths and misinformation, but on the bright side she may learn alot from your situation!

mab05
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:21 AM
My daughter has reflux. Getting her meds for it has done her a world of good and she's so much happier for it. She started to learn to smile once she was calmer and happier instead of screaming her poor little head off.

My husbands grandmother told me her youngest was on cows milk at 3 months old and he's just fine so why not let my infant have cows milk.
Some ppl just don't know or care. Ppl are set in their ways about many things and don't want to change their opinions cause that would be like admitting they're wrong. And god forbid...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HappySammy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:23 AM
It's funny how misinformed some people are. Seriously that is one of the dumbest things I've heard
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
observantmom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:26 AM

I heard somebody once say that their baby chose formula over brastmilk... I still cant figure that one out.

Hisservent
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:26 AM

I heard constant spit up is hereditary, something to do with the shape of their esophogus, especially when they get older.  My daughter is almost 10 months old and she still spits up. My dad has something up with his espohogus where he'll be eating and then all of a sudden feel like he needs to puke. So he goes to puke and then comes back to eating. Gross, but I'm thinking that's why my daughter spits up so much still. I mean, it's not like she can't keep her food down. She's fat enough to prove she's not lacking nutrients. But she does still spit up at least 4x a day.

Jesus Christ now lives in me! I am a 100% pro-life, wife,  Christian, vaccinatin, non co-sleepin, breastfeedin, CIO method usin,  schedule stickin to, organic servin and eatin, as Green as I can get, SAHM of 2 and in~home childcare provider. Check out my blog 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 4:04 AM

Agreed.. it is sad how common things like that are said.

Quoting HappySammy: It's funny how misinformed some people are. Seriously that is one of the dumbest things I've heard

CLICK AN ICON TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)