Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pumping question

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:05 AM
  • 7 Replies
So I know I can pump say an oz today and 1 tomorrow and the next day and mix and put it all in the fridge, as long as I use it by the date the first milk I pumped would go bad. Can I take all those oz I pumped and freeze them?

I like to keep an oz in the fridge so when I go to the gym I don't have to rush back and dh can hold him off till I get back. I'd like to be able to pump an oz a day until I have 4oz all together and put it in a storage bag in the freezer. Can I do that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
IllinoisHawkeye
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:19 AM
I have done that...I think it's fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hisservent
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:32 AM

I've heard mixed answers to this. I've heard you shouldn't mix them at all  because it causes contamination. I've also heard you CAN do it, and I've done it. When you pump, you need to cool it before adding it to the previous day's milk. Usually what I do is put the bottle in the fridge right after pumping until it's the same temp as yesterday's milk and then I add them together, and so forth. Don't mix freshly pumped with yesterday's already refrigerated milk. I usually only do 3 days worth before freezing. Put the first day's date on the bag you're going to freeze and as long as you get it in the freezer by 4 days later, you should be fine. 

Jesus Christ now lives in me! I am a 100% pro-life, wife,  Christian, vaccinatin, non co-sleepin, breastfeedin, CIO method usin,  schedule stickin to, organic servin and eatin, as Green as I can get, SAHM of 2 and in~home childcare provider. Check out my blog 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:48 AM

You can only keep milk in the fridge so long. ONE DAY's output can be mixed. Separate days, separate bottles. Two ounces per bottle is PLENTY for a feed.

I went with "one session = one feed" and it worked fine. He shouldn't need more than an ounce for a gym run. Four ounces would be overfeeding for this purpose.

christenw
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:40 PM
I have another question, can I leave what I pump today in the fridge till tomorrow or the next day then freeze it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RaLeighsMommy11
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:42 PM
yes i have done this.. jus use the date u pumped it on the bag NOT the day u freeze it

Quoting christenw:

I have another question, can I leave what I pump today in the fridge till tomorrow or the next day then freeze it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cassondra09
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I have done both things before with no problems!

lholgate
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:50 PM

You can always freeze smaller amounts into ice cubes too if you don't want to mix.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)