Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Seems like a dumb question, pumping in the hospital

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:18 AM
  • 14 Replies

A tiny bit of background:

My DS2 is due in June and he will be born with a cleft palate; therefore, he will probably be unlikely to nurse from the breast.  I plan to exclusively pump (I'm in the EPing group) for him.  I know I can produce enough milk because I BF my first son until he was over 2 years old and that included a year of pumping at work (with enough left over to be a milk donor).

My question is how soon after birth will I start getting any colostrum by pumping in the hospital?  With DS1, I nursed from the breast in the hospital, so I didn't worry about pumping at all.  I never worried about whether he was getting enough.  But with this baby, I will obviously need to start pumping right away because I don't want him to have formula.  Will I even be able to pump anything in the beginning?  Will my colostrum pump right away?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.J.
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:31 AM

In your position, I would try nursing (while pumping ofcourse). My sister in law delivered her baby a week and a half ago, and they said she would be born with some type of a growth defect, that her arms, legs, and head would be too small for her body. They said she would weigh about 4lbs at birth.
They were 100% wrong. She was nearly 8lbs, and her arms, legs, and head are just fine. She's also nursing like a pro :)

But anyway, our hospital refused to let me use their pumps (they had 6 pumps, and only 2 patients), so I had to have Dh go home to get mine the next day. I got colostrum on the 3rd day, pumping ever two hours for 25 minutes with a double pump. I reacted better to baby, he never lost even an ounce of weight after birth.
Good luck mama!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:00 AM

SOME moms can pump in the beginning, ask jrp0606 shes in EPing moms, she pumped int he hospital.

I would also look into donor milk or maybe when yuo are very very close to your due date start hand expressing colostrum and storing JUST in case.

sktrowb
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:05 AM
My dd had to be on oxygen at birth and could not nurse because it dropped her o2 levels too low. She was born at 317 pm and put to breast right away but did not successfully nurse. Instead she started turning blue. They put her on the o2 at about 530. I started pumping as soon as I was settled back in my room. I pumped 10 min every 2 hours( even through the night). I never had supply issues she did nurse after having the oxygen problem straightened out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
apoe
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:15 AM

i had to pump for my first son while he was in the nicu. i started pumping when he was 3 hours old. i would pump for 20 mins every 2-3 hours around the clock. i used a hospital grade pump while i was in his room and when i went home on friday nights to get dh for the weekend i would use a medela. i would recommend getting your own bags to store you milk in. the ones they  gave up where playtex and we had to rubber band them closed. it wasnt the best had i knowen then what i know now i wouldnt have done that. also many hosptial now have donor milk banks you can look into. i was able to pump the colostrum and put it in  little syringes unitl my milk came in a few days later.

mjp2707
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:30 AM
I got drops of colostrum right away. Use a syringe to suck it up. Keep every drop! I pumped every two hours with a hospital grade pump. Will you be renting a hospital grade?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SherriPie
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Quoting mjp2707:

I got drops of colostrum right away. Use a syringe to suck it up. Keep every drop! I pumped every two hours with a hospital grade pump. Will you be renting a hospital grade?

I have a Medela Pump n Style that I used for a year with DS1.  I'm pretty sure the hospital has them that we can use, but I could probably throw mine in the car just in case.  I plan to use the PIS when I get home, but hope that insurance will cover if I want to buy a new one (I'd like a new one since I'll be EPing).  But I can use mine in the meantime.  We only live about 7 or 8 minutes from the hospital so DH could run home and get it if necessary.  We could also run home and get our own storage bags if need be, it just seems crazy that we'd have to do that.

SherriPie
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Quoting Mrs.J.:

In your position, I would try nursing (while pumping ofcourse). My sister in law delivered her baby a week and a half ago, and they said she would be born with some type of a growth defect, that her arms, legs, and head would be too small for her body. They said she would weigh about 4lbs at birth.
They were 100% wrong. She was nearly 8lbs, and her arms, legs, and head are just fine. She's also nursing like a pro :)

But anyway, our hospital refused to let me use their pumps (they had 6 pumps, and only 2 patients), so I had to have Dh go home to get mine the next day. I got colostrum on the 3rd day, pumping ever two hours for 25 minutes with a double pump. I reacted better to baby, he never lost even an ounce of weight after birth.
Good luck mama!

So what did you use in the meantime sinceyour colostrum didn't come in until day 3?  Did you give formula?  Milk from a milk bank?

SherriPie
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:29 PM

BUMP!

maggiemom2000
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:56 PM
Lots of moms, myself included, have exclusively pumped to bring in a milk supply for a baby who can't nurse. My DS2 was a premie and I pumped to bring in a supply for him until he could nurse. You start pumping as soon as you can after birth and pump at least 8 times in 24 hrs.

They should have a hospital grade pump in the hospital for you to use. This will be better than your PIS, but your PIS should be fine after about a week or two.

In the beginning you only get small amounts of colostrum (teaspoons). But that is all baby needs! On baby's first day his stomach is the size of a marble. The first time I pumped I barely covered the bottom of the bottle. I cried thinking it wouldn't be enough and they'd want to give formula. I was wrong! It was plenty!

I'll post a couple of links for you as soon as I look them up.

I know it is usually not the case, but I do have a friend who was able to breastfeed her baby with a cleft palate. Sometimes it does happen!
maggiemom2000
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:00 PM
Here is a link all about colostrum and how much baby needs:

Stomach capacity of the newborn
When mothers hear that colostrum is measurable in teaspoons rather than ounces, they often wonder if that can really be enough for their babies. The short answer is that colostrum is the only food healthy, full-term babies need. The following is an explanation:

A 1 day old baby's stomach capacity is about 5-7 ml, or about the size of a marble. Interestingly, researchers have found that the day-old newborn's stomach does not stretch to hold more. Since the walls of the newborn's stomach stays firm, extra milk is most often expelled (spit up). Your colostrum is just the right amount for your baby's first feedings!

By day 3, the newborn's stomach capacity has grown to about 0.75-1 oz, or about the size of a "shooter" marble. Small, frequent feedings assure that your baby takes in all the milk he needs.

Around day 7, the newborn's stomach capacity is now about 1.5-2 oz, or about the size of a ping-pong ball. Continued frequent feeding will assure that your baby takes in all the milk he needs, and your milk production meets his demands.

From http://www.llli.org/faq/colostrum.html

This link is to a video that will take you step by step through how to bring in a milk supply by pumping:
http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)