Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I crazy??

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:07 PM
  • 6 Replies

Okay Momma's I need help. I have a 3 week old baby girl and I'm not sure what's wrong with her but I feel like there is something. She like moans in pain when she is nursing and grunts and arches her back. She makes this clicking noise constantly while she is nursing. She is almost constantly grunting and straining like she is trying to have a bowel movement or pass gas but doesn't do anything most times. She makes this noise like she is going to spit up and does but nothing comes out, it's like she swallows it. She always sounds congested. She gets the hiccups like 6 times a day. And last night, she projectile vomitted all over the place. The thing that concerns me the most is that she seems really unhappy and uncomfortable while she is nursing and I don't know what I can do to make her comfortable. I have called and talked to her Dr.s nurse and she didn't seem concerned at all. I just feel like my mommy intuition is telling me something is wrong but no one else seems to be concerned. So tell me ladies, am I crazy?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LRBsMommy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Does she start the grunting as soon as she starts to nurse or does it start a few minutes into a feeding?  Contrary to what some people believe, some breastfed babies need to be burped.  Is she only doing this while nursing?  She could be gassy because of something you're eating.  I ALWAYS prefer asking any nursing questions to a lactation consultant vs. a pediatrician because I haven't gotten educated answers from peds, but that's just my personal experience.  If the ped's office isn't helpful, call the LC at the hospital you delivered the baby.  It's usually free that way.

mvarone
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:31 PM

It's usually a few minutes into feeding. I didn't deliver at a hospital but I have WIC so I can call them. Thank you!

RichMommy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:45 PM
The clicking could be an incorrect latch. Incorrect latch could lead to air being swallowed. Air being swallowed could lead to gas & discomfort.
Just a guess.
I would have a CLC check your latch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Nope. Not crazy at all. Clicking can be bad latch or overactive letdown.. I'm guessing the latter due to the spitup.

Info on kellymom.com on how to compensate for a fast letdown.

lholgate
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Oh, and about the hiccup problem, that is totally normal at her age. My DD had horrible hiccups and she would get so angry and upset with them. It gets better with age. Your pediatrician probably wouldn't give good breast feeding advice anyway. You only want to talk to a lactation consultant, and even then, only IBCLC's are certified to give good advice. I've read so many stories here about bad advice from a LC. You may want to also look into checking out your local LLL. 

LRBsMommy
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 1:35 PM

I agree the clicking is probably an incorrect latch or she could start with a good latch, but if you have an overactive letdown, she could be having problems staying latched.  I hope all the good info has helped! 

You're still able to see an LC at the hospital even if you didn't deliver at one.  They may still let you visit them for free. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)