Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tanning?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:28 PM
  • 9 Replies
Is it safe to lay in tanning bed while breastfeefing? I was told tanning will help with the appearance of stretchmarks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
RichMommy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:48 PM
I'm not sure its ever "safe" to lay in a tanning bed. But it will not affect bf.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:42 PM
Safe for breastfeeding, not safe for your skin. I'm convinced my tanning in my early 20s was a big factor in all of the skin cancer I've had. I didn't even tan very much. I had my first skin cancer removed at 28. I'm now 43 and have lost count. My last surgery required a skin graft. Twenty years ago when I did it there was no long term research available on it. Now we know it causes cancer. Learn from my mistake!

I can't imagine how anything that damages your skin will help with stretch marks. Maybe a tan will hide them a bit in the short term, but long term?
gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:46 PM

As noted above, safe for breastfeeding... BAD for skin. It will temproarily relieve the look of stretch marks (which will fade ON THEIR OWN--for free-- given time). But the permanent damage?

One of my colleagues died of melanoma in her 30s. I don't care how pretty anyone thinks a tan makes them... coffins are UGLY.

NADA2
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:00 PM

If you are up to trying it, I use Mederma and have noticed my stretch marks slowing disappearing.

Ciara318
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:17 PM

My doctor told me do NOT let any uv rays fake or natural see my stretch marks for at least a year and they will fade on their own and then after that a lil natural tan will help them fade even more. And I tell you what my stomach looked like a road map after my son and you could barely see them after that year! And all those creams dont help either!

Ciara318
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

As noted above, safe for breastfeeding... BAD for skin. It will temproarily relieve the look of stretch marks (which will fade ON THEIR OWN--for free-- given time). But the permanent damage?

One of my colleagues died of melanoma in her 30s. I don't care how pretty anyone thinks a tan makes them... coffins are UGLY.

So sad!!! I dont go in tanning beds but I also dont lather my kids or I up in the highest degree of sunscreen because natural rays are good to a extent. So many of those sunblocks have more cancer causing agents in them then the natural sunlight! I dont lay out in the sun or in a tanning bed but I don't overuse sunscreen either!

redhead-bedhead
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Quoting RichMommy:

I'm not sure its ever "safe" to lay in a tanning bed. But it will not affect bf.

Mommy_Burge
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:21 PM

My favorite thing to use to get a tan is that gradual tanning lotion....i believe Jergens makes it...it's jsut an everyday lotion but it has subtle bronzers in it so it gradually gives your skin a natural tan without the harsh side effects of a tanning bed :D

it's takes longer to show than a tanning bed but it works! :D

and i never got stretch marks really but i do use bio oil for scars and that works really well for me.

Ashylane
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:25 PM
I tan, its safe for bm. I just make sure and wipe my nipples off if I lay on my stomach and they touch the bed or if I get lotion on them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)