Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastmilk & startin solids

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:51 PM
  • 10 Replies

my daughter is 4months and 3wks she eats every 1 1/2 & i want to pump milk for Friday and Saturday but idk how much milk she is intakin now a couple months ago i pump and left her w/ one 4oz bottle and i made sure i breast feed her before i leave n i was gone for maybe 2hrs and change. wen i got back they told me to go feed her bc she drank all 4 oz was shill hungry. can she be drinking 6oz already at 4months?

wen she start  baby rice how do u how much milk n cereal o how u do solid w breast milk. the doc say i can start w baby rice  now but wait until she 6 or 7 for food bc she really dont need it now.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rHOPEb
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:55 PM

I EBF my DD and she would NOT take a bottle at all.  NEVER would and it was murder to go anywhere.  So we nursed in public, just where ever we were! :D  She just wouldn't drink anything if I had to leave her with someone.  But when she got to be around 10mo she finally took a sippy cup.  :)  Anyway.  I introduced solids around 7-8mo.  I reccomend getting the "Super Baby Food" book.  Its about $20 at Walmart.  Its wonderful on telling you when and how much to feed your LO.  With BM it is easier/quicker digested than formula.  Good luck and God bless......

gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Quoting allison713:

my daughter is 4months and 3wks she eats every 1 1/2 & i want to pump milk for Friday and Saturday but idk how much milk she is intakin now a couple months ago i pump and left her w/ one 4oz bottle and i made sure i breast feed her before i leave n i was gone for maybe 2hrs and change. wen i got back they told me to go feed her bc she drank all 4 oz was shill hungry. can she be drinking 6oz already at 4months?

She was supposed to still be hungry. That was perfect.She was overfed, in fact. One to 1 - 1.25 pounces per hour. That is a FOREVER number.. it never changes. You WANT her to be hungry for you. Bottle time is low supply time. The sitter needs to come up with something other than feeding to soothe the baby... or you'll need a new caregiver.

You will NEVER give six ounces at a sitting.

wen she start  baby rice

Don't bother with it. REALLY. Not needed. It's junk.

how do u how much milk n cereal o how u do solid w breast milk. the doc say i can start w baby rice  now but wait until she 6 or 7 for food bc she really dont need it now.

Wait till six months, start with  banana or avocado. Search this group for info on baby led solids and you'll be on your way. When you do start... nurse first, solids after all the way to the first birthday.

Sadly docs are very poor guides on infant nutrition most of the time. They often know only what the Gerber rep tells them. And do you suppose the Gerber rep is unbiased? **grin*

MammaQuinny
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:31 PM
Dont give rice cereal, just pump and spoon some milk into her mouth to get used to a spoon, then let her taste bland stuff like avocado, banana, pear, nothing too acidic and then start the fruits and veggies :-) dont stress about "feeding" it to her, just let her taste it, they really dont need food until they are 18 mos and older. My son is 12 mos and still most bfing :-) he sometimes eats his food and he mostly snacks on cheerios and bread
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
allison713
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:10 PM

this is so confusing to me with my 1st daughter i just formula then 6 months i just gave add  food and she is good healthy trying not to give up on bfing.  i just bought my medela hand pump and im kinda excited.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Forget everything you EVER knew from FFing.

BM and formula are 100% different and even in a bottle they are different.

Bf babies need 1-1.25 oz an hour, if you need to be gone for 4 oz the max a baby needs is about 4 oz.  BEST bet is to nurse before leaving and leave a 2-2.5 oz bottle to be given every 2 hours, yes its ok to schedule.  newborn size nipples always no matter the age.

BM is great, it adapts to a babies nutritional needs, as long as you use basically fresh milk there is NO need for 4-6 oz bottles. 3 oz is the MAX.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:44 PM

OH and cereal is ok for FF babies becuase they have issues absorbing the iron from formula, but BF babies absorb most of the iron in BM and the iron in cereal is synthetic so its not good for BF babies.  STarting solids start with real foods, sweet potato, avacado, squash.  Wait til 6 months at the minimum...this is the recommendation from AAP, WHO and la leche league for BF babies.

Nurse then offer some solids, none are REALLY needed til 12 months so no stress about solids, they are desserts

gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 29, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Quoting allison713:

this is so confusing to me with my 1st daughter i just formula then 6 months i just gave add  food and she is good healthy trying not to give up on bfing.  i just bought my medela hand pump and im kinda excited.

It's truly not difficult. Everyone overthinks solids. Nurse baby. Then mlash whatever you're eating. Give to baby. That's it! Nothing more needs to be done. It's crazy easy if you remember how UNimportant solids are.

allison713
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Forget everything you EVER knew from FFing.

BM and formula are 100% different and even in a bottle they are different.

Bf babies need 1-1.25 oz an hour, if you need to be gone for 4 oz the max a baby needs is about 4 oz.  BEST bet is to nurse before leaving and leave a 2-2.5 oz bottle to be given every 2 hours, yes its ok to schedule.  newborn size nipples always no matter the age.

BM is great, it adapts to a babies nutritional needs, as long as you use basically fresh milk there is NO need for 4-6 oz bottles. 3 oz is the MAX.

now that i know she will never  need  6 to 8 oz bottles im going to return the pack of bottles i got on sales  and get more 5oz bottles.

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 10:12 PM

CLICK AN ICON TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

allison713
by on Mar. 30, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Well i got my medela pump & i used it today and it is wonderfulfor a hand pump i pump 5oz in just  mins less than 10. so im syoring some and after 2 days if not use i will just freeze it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)