Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pumping questions (back to work, advice please!)

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:57 PM
  • 2 Replies

Hi my name is Monica. I have a 3 year old that i successfully breast fed for 8 months and I have a 5 week old. I have no issues with breast feeding and I am hopping to keep my baby girl on BM until about a year. appreciated

ok so I will be doing student teaching full time in august and I will need to have a good supply saved up so that she has enough to make it through the day. she will be 6 months. I will be pumping in the morning as well as nursing, twice a day while i'm gone, and then nursing and pumping once more at home to hopefully keep my supply up. 

My question is when should I pump now? I pump after she nurses in the morning and after she nurses at night about 2 to 3 ozs each time. Should I be pumping after each feed? I don't have any saved up yet because I just started pumping for bottles.(which she takes great!)

Also how much breast milk do 6 month old babies need during the day out of a bottle?

Any pointers, tips, or information would be great, especially if you have done this before! I have never had to go back to work when I was still nursing a baby so I'm a little clueless. Thanks in advance!

Monica

Monica

toddler boyexpecting girl
Mom to Jackson & Expecting a girl in March 2011!

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Quoting Moey:

Hi my name is Monica. I have a 3 year old that i successfully breast fed for 8 months and I have a 5 week old. I have no issues with breast feeding and I am hopping to keep my baby girl on BM until about a year. appreciated

Welcome,. Monica!

ok so I will be doing student teaching full time in august and I will need to have a good supply saved up so that she has enough to make it through the day. she will be 6 months. I will be pumping in the morning as well as nursing, twice a day while i'm gone, and then nursing and pumping once more at home to hopefully keep my supply up. 

She will need 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour of separation, no more. There's a good stash management rule of never letting baby have more than you can pump in a workday.

My question is when should I pump now? I pump after she nurses in the morning and after she nurses at night about 2 to 3 ozs each time. Should I be pumping after each feed? I don't have any saved up yet because I just started pumping for bottles.(which she takes great!)

I wouldn't unless you have a deep freezer. There's a limit on how long this stuff can stay frozen. Guidelines on kellymom.com.

Also how much breast milk do 6 month old babies need during the day out of a bottle?

As noted above... 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour of separation. Keep your bottles small, three ounces tops.

Any pointers, tips, or information would be great, especially if you have done this before! I have never had to go back to work when I was still nursing a baby so I'm a little clueless. Thanks in advance!

Monica

BTDT and the hardest thing is being attached to the pump. The most common problem we see is babies being overfed with bottles. Follow the above guidelines to avoid that. Be prepared for your caregiver to accuse you of starving the baby... s/he will be both wrong and right. Baby doesn't need more than 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour... but also we don't want baby to be satisfied when you're away. The idea is that a hungry baby nurses more when mom is home.

EliasMommyDec09
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:42 PM
You need to pump moor than you would feed because baby is way more efficient than pumping every to hours so you keep your supply up evntually your milk supply will go down if you soly pump so nursing when you can is a good thing if she will take. Oh and drink lots and lots of water that helps if you have any more questions feel free to message me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)