Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where can I find inexpensive nursing tops?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:10 PM
  • 14 Replies

I didn't bother much with nursing tops last time since I lived in south Texas where it was hot and I could just pull a tank top under my breast to feed. It was slightly exposing (basically just cleavage and not much since I don't have big breasts) but not too bad and I wasn't concerned since I had legal protection. Now I live where it's too cold to just wear a stretchy tank top and there is no legal protection for nursing moms so I'm a little worried about someone seeing what they consider "too much" and give me trouble that I can't legally defend myself from. So I'm looking for nursing tops that are comfy, INEXPENSIVE, and enough to keep me from exposing too much skin to the cold. Preferably only cotton cause other materials make me itch. I'm super cheap when it comes to clothes so I'm hesitant to spend much on shirts that are just for my breastfeeding days. My breastfeeding days last years, but I still wear clothes from middle and high school so I have higher expectations for how long they last lol. I've seen children consignment stores usually have a maternity section (hooray for practically new maternity pants for jut a few bucks!) but they rarely carry nursing tops and in my size. Motherhood is too expensive and other stores also have little variety with high prices. I'm not too comfortable clothes shopping online but if I can find a site with enough good reviews and detailed sizing help, I will. Recommendations? 

Jess~ 21, birthed out of wedlock at 17, sexually active & in love w/ 1 man (baby's daddy, not bio-father), atheist, liberal, bisexual, pro gay marriage, pro choice, recycling, animal loving, drug/alcohol free, healthy cooking, natural feeding on demand, public coverless nursing, child led weaning, slow solid intro at 11 mos, full time co sleeping since birth til semi co sleeping at 29 mos, toddler carrying/wearing, cloth diapered til positive potty learning completion at 21 mos, anti cry it out, non spanking, over 20lbs & still rear facing, non vaxing, attachment parenting, stay at home mom to a happy, healthy, smart, sweet girl and baking a boy who'll be left intact and born at home

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KayDziedzic
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:03 PM

I can't find any that are in my budget, so I've been layering tanks/camis under light weight, lower cut cotton tops or button down tops. Tank goes up, top shirt neckline goes down. But with winter on it's way out now I'm not going to want any layering, so I'm looking for inexpensive nursing tops, too. I'm anxious to see the responses you get.

TX.Momma.23
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:06 PM
I have a couple of nursing tops from target I put under whatever shirt/top I am wearing. Shirt goes up, unhook nursing tank, nothing shows. Works for me and way cheaper than nursing shirts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:10 PM

I've always just layered a stretchy tank under my normal shirts.  Pull the outer shirt up and the tank down.  Nothing really shows - not any more than a nursing top - and it's so much cheaper!  :)  Now that it's getting warmer, I wear the stretchy tank under another tank.  Still the same idea. 

NevaehAndAjsMom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:11 PM

jc pennys

jus1jess
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I really hate to layer and pull a shirt up. I was hoping for tops that just had some flap or something to get out of a way vs lifting and scrunching up a whole shirt. 

Jess~ 21, birthed out of wedlock at 17, sexually active & in love w/ 1 man (baby's daddy, not bio-father), atheist, liberal, bisexual, pro gay marriage, pro choice, recycling, animal loving, drug/alcohol free, healthy cooking, natural feeding on demand, public coverless nursing, child led weaning, slow solid intro at 11 mos, full time co sleeping since birth til semi co sleeping at 29 mos, toddler carrying/wearing, cloth diapered til positive potty learning completion at 21 mos, anti cry it out, non spanking, over 20lbs & still rear facing, non vaxing, attachment parenting, stay at home mom to a happy, healthy, smart, sweet girl and baking a boy who'll be left intact and born at home

lholgate
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:41 PM

If you are crafty, you can make your own. 

Mrs.Rounds
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:44 PM

you can get nursing tanks or covers at wallmart and target. I like the covers cuz i had the habit of just lifing up my shirt under it. They go over you head and cover like a shawl.

Reenieredhead
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:50 PM
I went to the thrift store and bought a bunch of long, colored t-shirts. Then I cut slits in them enough to be able to pull my breasts through and nurse comfortably (I'm pretty small too). I can layer them under anything, and all I have to do is lift up the shirt on top, latch my baby, and I'm hardly exposed at all (as well as warmer during the cold days). I've nursed all over the place without a cover or anything, and even my hyper freak out brother didn't even know I was nursing!
Ciara318
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 1:24 AM

That is what I do!!! A stretchy tank top and then another shirt over the over shirt gets pulled up the under gets pulled down! Then breast nor belly are exposed!!

I've always just layered a stretchy tank under my normal shirts.  Pull the outer shirt up and the tank down.  Nothing really shows - not any more than a nursing top - and it's so much cheaper!  :)  Now that it's getting warmer, I wear the stretchy tank under another tank.  Still the same idea. 

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 4:45 AM

The combination of a top that can be lowered (like a cross wrap shirt) and a stretchy bra (like a sports bra) that can be raised can give you the nursing shirt effect!

CLICK AN ICON TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)