Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

problems

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:14 PM
  • 9 Replies

I am having some problems breastfeeding my little one.  More & more when I'm nursing, when I switch to the 2nd side he will start a screaming fit, tensing up & will not latch on for anything.  I'm thinking it's gas but I've been trying to give mylecon drops after each feeding for the last few days & he still does this quite often.  Does it sound like gas to you?  If so shouldn't the mylecon drops take care of it?  Would you give them at the end of the feeding or in this case should I give them in between sides since that seems to be when the issue arrises?  Is it ok to give with each feeding or should I talk to my pediatrician? 

Also sometimes when this isn't an issue, he doesn't seem interested in eating 1/2 way through.  He's not crying or asleep just not interested.  Is it ok to just let him be or do I need to keep trying to feed him?  Sometimes I'll try for 10-30 minutes with no interest.  What should I do?  I'm worried he's not getting enough to eat.  Several of his poops lately have been green & I read on here somewhere that can be because he's not getting the hindmilk.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JenStein
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:47 PM

How old is he? It could be teething or a growth spurt. Is he showing a side preference? He may have gotten enough from the 1st side. If the drops aren't working, I'd assume it's not gas. I would back off of those drops for a while if they're not helping.

When you say he doesn't seem interested in eating 1/2 way through, is that like a time amount you're going by? He might just be done. Sometimes baby finishes up pretty quick and just doesn't need anymore at the moment. It's okay to just let him be, he may just have wanted a snack and will be ready to eat again shortly. Avoid keeping an eye on the clock-watch baby for clues. Trying to force him to eat some more is just gonna frustrate you and him. If he's not crying, he's cool. Sometimes my LO pulls off the breast and doesn't want to eat anymore because he needs to poop :) Then when he's done, he's ready to eat again! The ONLY way to know if he's getting enough is wet diapers. Is he getting 6-8 wet diapers a day? That's all you need to know. The green poop is totally normal, it can indicate not enough hindmilk, but it's not going to hurt him. It just means he'll get hungry again sooner. He does need the hindmilk but if he misses out on it once or twice, it's not going to damage him. It might be a phase too.

KayDziedzic
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Definitely talk to your dr.

I had a similar problem with DD, she's 5 weeks. I started giving her Little Tummies Gripe Water before feeding her at night (when she seems to have the most trouble with gas- probably because dinner has been greasy take out lately). It seems to help, a lot. The dr (a fill in, our regular pediatrician was on vacation) obviously didn't like it when I asked her if there was any problem giving it to DD, she just kept saying, "We don't recommend it." We get to see her regular dr next week. I'm looking into taking ginger and fennel capsules (the active ingredients in that brand's gripe water) myself to see if that will work, because I hate to anything but breastmilk in that little belly.

Good luck, I hope you find something that works out for you!

terribeth07
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:07 PM

He's 3 1/2 weeks.  It doesn't seem to make a difference on the side.  I am trying to do atleast 10-15 minutes per side atleast every 2-3 hours.  I know the clock is not as important but I know that breastfed babies should be eating atleast every 3 hours especially in the beginning to help their metabolism & also regulate my milk supply.  I think he might have a cold though so could that be affecting his hunger?  He's been doing this off & on for a little while but especially the last 24 hours at almost every feeding he doesn't want to finish- he's either crying, sleeping or just looks up at me with no interest.  I just want to make sure he's eating enough & also don't want to hurt my milk supply.  Should I just pump if he decides not to eat?  I guess I'll give it a day & if he's still not doing good then call the doctor to make sure they think it's ok.  Agree?

lifetimelove
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:12 PM
Stop looking at the clock, and don't make him switch if he doesn't want to. You might have a bit of overactive letdown going on. He probably just got through a growth spurt, they tend to slow down eating and sleep a lot right after. If you nurse on demand with a healthy baby, your supply will be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Soudns to me like he's not hungry after the first. Are you letting him come off on side one on his own, burping and then offering the other side? He doesn't HAVE to take it. If he doesn't that's fine.

Doesn't sound like gas. Sounds more like me when my grandmotehr kept trying to push more pasta on me... "magia, mangia!" **grin**

gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Terri! You're making this WAY too difficult! I'm going to make it easier on you. **smile**

Quoting terribeth07:

He's 3 1/2 weeks.  It doesn't seem to make a difference on the side.  I am trying to do atleast 10-15 minutes per side atleast every 2-3 hours.  I know the clock is not as important but I know that breastfed babies should be eating atleast every 3 hours especially in the beginning to help their metabolism & also regulate my milk supply. 

Uh... no. Infant tummies don't have clocks. On demand is the rule for HIM and for your supply. Take your clocks and hide 'em. Or smash 'em. **grin** Doesn't matter how long or how often as long as it's on demand and you're changing enough dipes.

I think he might have a cold though so could that be affecting his hunger? 

Just as colds do for adults... yep.

He's been doing this off & on for a little while but especially the last 24 hours at almost every feeding he doesn't want to finish- he's either crying, sleeping or just looks up at me with no interest.  I just want to make sure he's eating enough & also don't want to hurt my milk supply. 

Count dipes. If you change 6-8 all is well.

Should I just pump if he decides not to eat?  I guess I'll give it a day & if he's still not doing good then call the doctor to make sure they think it's ok.  Agree?

Relax. He's doing FINE... you're looking for the wrong things, hon. The only thing you pay attention to is the diaper count. Nothing else.

Your title is a misnomer. You don't have any problems... not with the breastfeeding, anyway. Perception, maybe. **grin**

Now's a good time to worry about the college fund.

mab05
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:17 PM
Not enough hindmilk could be because you offer both sides. You're letting him fill up on foremilk from one breast. Giving him a little hindmilk then putting him on the new breast to give him more foremilk. His screaming fit in between could be that reason too. He thinks you're taking his food away.

Let him just nurse one side at a time. DD1 was very gassy and hard to feed til I let her have 1 boob per feeding. Let her nurse on that side as long as she want and fill herself up. She was a happier girl
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terribeth07
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:59 PM

No I'm not taking him off of the breast, he comes off of his own several times during a feeding & I continue to offer the same breast for atleast 10-15 minutes before moving to the other side.  He was doing well with that but is no longer which is why I'm thinking there's something wrong with him. 

gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 29, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Nope. That change is fine. He's normal and will do many things that drive you nuts.

Worry when he's NOT driving you nuts... sort of like when your husband shows up with a dozen roses for absolutely no reason... that's a "he's up to something" sign. **grin**

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)