Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should i breastfeed?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:37 PM
  • 17 Replies
Or bottle feed her what I have already pumped? She's had bottles before and it doesn't affect her breastfeeding. I'm just wondering if its safe.

I have 102 fever, headache, sore throat, and body ache.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eeyorerdl
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:39 PM

If you're sick, bottle feeding should do just fine!

Tea4Tas
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:40 PM

yes:

here is why:

When you are sick, you and your baby will almost always benefit from continuing to breastfeed. There are very few illnesses that require a mother to stop nursing. Since most illnesses are caused by viruses, that are most infectious before you even realize you are sick, your baby has already been exposed before you even develop symptoms (such as fever, diarrhea, vomiting, rash, runny nose, cough, etc). Continuing to breastfeed will help protect your baby from the infection, because your body produces antibodies to the specific bug that is causing the infection, and you pass them on to the baby in your milk. Often, a breastfed baby will be the only member of the family who doesn't get sick. If he does get sick, he will usually have a much milder case than the older members of the family.

Illnesses are most often transmitted through skin contact and secretions from the mouth and nose. Be sure to wash your hands often, and try to avoid face-to-face contact (and sneezing directly on the baby).

mama02040608
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:40 PM
Nurse her. It might help prevent her from getting sick, and she's already been exposed to what you have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommabug10
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:43 PM

this

Quoting Tea4Tas:

yes:

here is why:

When you are sick, you and your baby will almost always benefit from continuing to breastfeed. There are very few illnesses that require a mother to stop nursing. Since most illnesses are caused by viruses, that are most infectious before you even realize you are sick, your baby has already been exposed before you even develop symptoms (such as fever, diarrhea, vomiting, rash, runny nose, cough, etc). Continuing to breastfeed will help protect your baby from the infection, because your body produces antibodies to the specific bug that is causing the infection, and you pass them on to the baby in your milk. Often, a breastfed baby will be the only member of the family who doesn't get sick. If he does get sick, he will usually have a much milder case than the older members of the family.

Illnesses are most often transmitted through skin contact and secretions from the mouth and nose. Be sure to wash your hands often, and try to avoid face-to-face contact (and sneezing directly on the baby).

I'm Heather; a 25 year old, cloth diapering, breastfeeding, babywearing, non vaxing (for now), stay-at-home-mom to beautiful little Kaylee, born 3/09/10 which also happened to be my 3rd anniversary of being married to my wonderful husband Tyler.

lainak87
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM
Okay! Thank you!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mombloggerJ
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Yep.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

yes:

here is why:

lainak87
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:52 PM
Okay! Thank you!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mab05
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:45 PM
Nurse!
We all got the flu twice and my nursling was the only one who didn't, I'm giving all the credit to bf'ing!

Also, when you're sick you tend to not eat and drink like normal and your supply might take a bit of a dip (or so its been in my case) so not nursing her will only make things worse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ammie25
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Breastfeeding will help her fight off whatever you have!

redhead-bedhead
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:11 PM

This. Tea4Tas just saved me from typing all this out.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

yes:

here is why:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)