Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mastitis

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:55 PM
  • 8 Replies
I woke up at 3 am this morning with my right breast killing me! I figured I had mastitis so I went ahead and nursed my 15 month old and afterwards I put a warm cloth on it. All day since then my whole body has been killing me. My legs, back, head and everywhere hurt so much. I took some Tylenol but is there anything else I could do at home to help? I feel so bad that it takes all my strength just to walk around. Ive never had mastitis like this before. Usually just nursing and a warm cloth helps but not today :-( Luckily DH is home and is able to tend to our 2 boys. Any suggestions would help. Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lilmommy10805
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I would call your GYN dr and get an appt ASAP if not go to an urgent care. You need antibiotics to get to go away. 

CelestialVal
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I had mastitis with my 1st baby about 5 times! And I got just as sick as you are now every time I had it. I needed Antibiotics everytime. For me nursing and compresses just didn't cut it.

rylansmommy4108
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:18 PM

you do NOT need antibiotics you can get rid of it by just nursing and tylenol....I had it as bad as your describing i didnt take antibiotics

Momof2boyskj
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:47 PM
Thanks ladies :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lholgate
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:18 PM

I had to be on two different antibiotics to get rid of mine. I'd recommend the antibiotics. You don't want it to turn into an abscess. Plus, it sucks to be sick.

CelestialVal
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Totally agreed! If it turns into an abscess it has to be surgically drained. 

Quoting lholgate:

I had to be on two different antibiotics to get rid of mine. I'd recommend the antibiotics. You don't want it to turn into an abscess. Plus, it sucks to be sick.

mmccoy
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 3:17 PM
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html Both times I've had it I had to get antibiotics. I have had many plug ducts but once you start feeling fluish it is best to get the antibiotic. You will feel better within 24 hours.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
kohlby
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Sometimes it does need antibiotics and sometimes it doesn't.  I've had mastitis twice and was able to avoid antibiotics one of the times.  But when it gets bad, it can get very bad very fast so I do agree with contacting your dr.  The first time I had it, I was so achy I couldn't walk.  But the actual lump was golfball sized.  I did all the normal plugged duct self-care things.  But what saved the day was raw potatoes.  Cut up raw potatoes and put them in your bra over the effected area.  The potato can draw out the infection.  It worked amazingly well.  I was shocked.

The second time, the area was much larger.  I only had mild aches and no fever.  But the area was huge.  When I was put on antibiotics, it was bigger than softball size.  The antibiotics take time to work and the next 24 hours got worse and worse - until it was cantaloupe size and the whole area was red and hot.  Thankfully, the antibiotics kicked in then.

So my vote is to call your dr first and do the potatos while you're waiting for your appt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)