Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She is doing excellently breastfeeding, not one bottle yet... and got the depo shot today.

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:31 PM
  • 10 Replies

My SILs baby hasn't had one bottle of formula, and she's almost two weeks old. That's alot more than I could say with both my babies at that age, lol. She's doing wonderfully.
She wrote on facebook that she got her depo shot today, and the nurses told her not to listen to her friends, that it wouldn't deplete her milk supply.

I told her differently and she's not worried... Does anyone have any info/experience on this?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lholgate
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:46 PM

I'm on depo and it didn't affect my supply. It's progesterone only so it is safe for nursing.

Mrs.J.
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:21 PM

So I'm the one who's misinformed, lol.
3 obgyns and one midwife told me the depo shot would dry me up. I guess I have more research to do. Thanks for responding!

Quoting lholgate:

I'm on depo and it didn't affect my supply. It's progesterone only so it is safe for nursing.

lholgate
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Anything with estrogen will dry you up. My OB convinced me it (The pill with Estrogen) wouldn't after I had DD1. He was dead wrong and it ended my ability to nurse my  first daughter. I am pretty angry about that still.

Avetay
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:27 PM
Been on it for a year and still nurse. My supply dipped when I got it like it does before af

Quoting lholgate:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Rounds
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:28 PM
My dr is putting me on the shot after LO is born. Said many women produce more milk while on it. DO NOT try nuvaring, drided me up with in a couple weeks and I didn't know what was going on, just that my son would try to nurse then cry and i'd have to end up trying a bottle. (Have a different OB then before)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:31 PM

I was on Depo with my DD, and NEVER had an issue.  I was able to nurse her exclusively until solids and continued tonurse until I weaned her.  I can honestly say it didn't affect supply, although I know pumping isn't an indicator, I was able to pump just as much as I did with the kids I didn't use Depo with.  She also grew fine and had normal diapers. 

I know there is a chance of decreased supply, so she *should* have done the minipill for a month to see, since the hormones in both are similar, but I never had an issue, personally.

mjp2707
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:15 PM
Depo is not best practice some women do have trouble though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:51 PM

ANY hormones before 6-8 weeks will hurt supply..its a BAD idea to get them earlier...I don' trust depo either becuase if it DOES hurt supply theres nothing you can do for 3 months!

Moey
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 6:47 AM
I have depo with no supply issues I nurse about 8 times a day and pump 2 times. I just pumped 5 oz after nursing this morning
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 9:57 PM

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/birthcontrol.html#mini 

CLICK AN ICON TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)