Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding & ear infections in the mother???

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:02 PM
  • 8 Replies

I've never had an ear infection in my life until now. I've not been sick or had any sinus problems recently. A couple weeks ago I started experiencing pain and pressure in my ears. I've had a headache that won't go away even with meds for 5 days now. So I went to the dr today and he said I have an infection and fluid in my ears. I'm EBF my 6wk old. A friend of mine told me she had problems with her ears when she was breastfeeding. Now another mom said she had recurring swimmers ear starting when she was breastfeeding. I've never heard of ear infections/problems related to breastfeeding until now. Have any of you ever heard of this or experienced it? This is a new one for me but it does seem to be a strange coincedence.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
chrismom76
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:18 PM

I want to hear if there is a reason.  I had an ear infection most of the time that I nursed my first DD and now I have ear issues with this one.

mombloggerJ
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Never heard of a link between the two and scientifically/anatomically not sure how it's possible. . .I'm thinking strange coincidence. . .

Areynold85
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:44 PM
I have had ringing, pressure and balance issues with my right ear for the last 2 wks and I'm breastfeeding my 4 month old. I have never had ear problems, but this refuses to go away. Weird..
gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 14, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Can't say I have. And I'm prone to ear infections.

Millertime77
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I have been breastfeeding my son now for 22 mos.  He has had four ear infections in his left ear and one in his right ear.  Back in March, I had an awful cold-coughing, sneezing, sore throat, etc.  One day, I blew my nose so hard, I swore that I had ruptured my ear drum.  Went to the doctor, and guess what?  I had an ear infection! I've never had one in my life! And, it was so painful! Even with the meds, so I cannot imagine what my lil man was feeling each time he had one. I've never heard of a connection between breastfeeding and ear infections-but I've def. had one! And never want another one again!

sreichelt26
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 5:23 PM

This. Try a chiropractor - that should help.

Quoting mombloggerJ:

Never heard of a link between the two and scientifically/anatomically not sure how it's possible. . .I'm thinking strange coincidence. . .

SadieJames
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 5:26 PM
It is a symptom of pregnancy - one that I have every.single.day right now : ( ear pressure, fluid and 2x infection - so far. Maybe it's hormone related and the hormones released in breast feeding can be similar to pregnancy so...?

- Sarah -

CafeMom Tickers

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Sep. 14, 2012 at 8:59 PM
I have been pregnant 5 times and bf three times and never got an ear infection either time. I think its purely coincidence.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)