Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! Pediatrician Showdown...

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:49 PM
  • 57 Replies

Mommas, I need help.  I went into my son's six month checkup tonight proud of how well breastfeeding was going and eager to try baby-led solids.  I left worried, confused, and in tears, having been told that I am drastically under-feeding my son; that he needs to start drinking six ounce bottles at daycare, and that he needs to be eating two big bowls of oat cereal a day STAT. 

I'll break it down, point by point.

1) Size of Bottles -- My son is in daycare about 10 hours a day and usually drinks three 3oz bottles.  My ped said that's nowhere near enough and that he should be drinking 6oz bottles by now.

2) How to tell if he's full -- She said that if he drains a bottle it means I should give him more next time.  But I'd always heard that babies will overeat from a bottle because it keeps flowing even if they only want a comfort suck.

3) Solids -- She dismissed baby-led solids and said my son NEEDS to be eating cereal because breastmilk only has 20 calories per ounce and that's just not enough calories.

4) Timing of solids -- I was told to feed my son a big bowl of cereal BEFORE allowing him to nurse to make sure he gets enough.

All of this goes against what I'd read.  The reason I'm having trouble, though, is that my son isn't growing like they want him to.  He's only 15 pounds, 11 ounces and in the 10-20th percentile.  That's down from what he was at his four month.  Not in size (he is growing) but he's slipping in percentiles and that has them worried, and makes it hard for me to fight back. 

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:55 PM

umm what was his birth weight? how old is he ? your pedi is an idiot, time to get a new one

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:57 PM

by the way my son just got into the 5th percentile. he drop off the charts at 12 mts. then went up a little. to 10% then drop back to 5th percent.. he is 2, 23 lbs and still on 9-12 mt clothes

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:02 PM

I'm about to send my DD to daycare.  We are sending 4 bottles of 3oz each for 10 and 1/2 hours.  I don't know how much your son will need--just the rule of thumb.  One thing we did was just before a feeding, I pumped all I could and put it in a bottle.  DH fed the bottle to DD and saw how much he would take.  Then we let her ask to eat again when she was ready.  She ate 3oz and ask to eat again about the same amount of time as when she nurses.

About solids, when older DD started cereal we fed it to her first of course.  When daycare took over, they fed her in the morning but between nursing and first bottle.  It never changed the amount of BM she took.  Then we fed her cereal again at dinner (again between nursings).

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:04 PM
Your ped is an idiot and I making you feel awful for nothing. Breastmilk is all he needs for the first year! If you feel like trying out some food, do so, but 20 calories an oz? That's absurd. Find a new doc and make sure you pull up a whole bunch of articles for the old one that obviously doesn't know what she is talking about. Also letting her know how detrimental her advice could be to a new mom who is trying to maintain a supply. Her advice would be a really good way to kill it.

I also think babies will let you know when he is hungry. Is the daycare telling you they need more? If he is not wanting more food, there is no way to shove it into him. You could maybe try sending a litle more with him. It does sound like a little bit under buy does he make up for it at night? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you are suppose to plan 1-1.5 oz per hr. So he should be getting a minimum of 10 oz at daycare if not some more.

Bottom line if diapers are good, he is good!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:08 PM

RUN, don't walk, to a new pedi. Yours has not a clue about BF. Seriously, NOT A CLUE.

1) 1 oz to 1.25 oz per hour of separation. You are in that range, especially if you feed him right before you drop him off and feed him again when you pick him up.

2) NO WAY. Baby will overeat from a bottle. Bottles are easy and babies also like to suck for comfort. This is okay at the breast b/c flow changes according to how baby is sucking. Not okay at the bottle.

3) Baby-led solids are FINE. Breastmilk has MORE calories per oz than solids. Cereal is crap. No nutritional value at all. Just a belly filler, which will lead to him drinking less breastmilk, which he needs for calories.

4)NO NO NO NO NO. Just no. Solids ONLY after a complete nursing session.

It goes against what you've read b/c it's WRONG. I can't comment on weights without seeing them, but low in percentile is fine as long as it's not a drastic drop off his curve. If you want, you can post his weights from birth to now for more comment on that. That said, EVEN IF he's not gaining enough, oatmeal, solids, etc. ARE NOT the answer and will likely make any problems he's having worse.

Find a new doctor ASAP. *sigh* Sorry you're dealing with this.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:08 PM
Stupid pediatricians!!! They are idiots sometimes! Mine told me at my 9 month check up that there was nothing nutritional about breast-feeding at 9 months it's strictly nurturing! I stopped going! My DD was in the 5th% until she was 2 and was and still is completely healthy! They shouldn't give percentiles for BF babies in my opinion! If your son is having enough soiled diapers and I'm pretty sure he is ok! I started solids with mine at six months but I know most moms on here will tell you not to bother! Sounds like you ate doing great and in need of a better pediatrician!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:11 PM

You deff need a new ped, he's an idiot.

First: most/all cereal is crap. just a filler, there's nothing worth giving baby in it

Second: Solids are ALWAYS after nursing, never before

Third: peds an idiot.. wait I said

My daughter just turned 7 months and was 17lbs 13oz at her 6mth check up and she is FINE.. As long as your baby is happy, healthy, peeing/pooping enough & meeting milestones then baby is FINE.

Also, baby only needs 1.25-1.5oz of milk per hour that your seperated, and never more than 3oz at a time. I drop my daugher at daycare at around 730 and pick up at 5, and she drinks 2-3 bottles (3ish oz each), w/ no solids.

I'd take info from a IBCLC in there so show ped your baby is fine.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Quoting piwife:

umm what was his birth weight? how old is he ? your pedi is an idiot, time to get a new one

I agree with this.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:13 PM

I just have one question - How many calories per ounce, and how many ounces does he think the baby will be taking in when he eats cereal? It seems to me that the baby would eat less cereal than breast milk, stay fuller longer, and get fewer calories.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies.  My son was 8lb 10oz at birth.  I can't remember the exact weights, but he was in the 50th percentile at 2 months, then down to 30th at four months, and is now in the 10-25th range.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)