Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 10 Mo old had allergic reaction! Please help!

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:52 PM
  • 14 Replies

A couple days ago, my 10 mo DD broke out in hives. I didn't realize what was going on. She was showing discomfort and tugging at her shirt. I noticed a red spot on her arm, and on her chest, but there was a scatch (from her itching) so I didn't look further. I kept an eye on her in the back of my mind to make sure she didn't have any more serious reactions. But I didn't really think that it was anything at the time.

The next day her aunt and cousin  said her feet were pink/red and when I told them what I saw, we thought she musta had hives.

Just a day or two before, my dad had given her a couple lil bite size slices of strawberry. When I saw, I gasped and said, "she's not supposed to have that" but it was already too late. Other than that, I can't think of any allergens that she's had in the last several days. I am very careful about what she eats.

Today, I spotted a couple red spots on her knee and back.

I've never dealt with allergies before. I don't have them myself and neither does my oldest DS.

How long does an allergic reaction last?

Should I keep her from eating any other solids while she is still having the reaction? 

What do I do in the meantime to keep her comfortable?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gilbertgrl627
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:10 PM

You can try giving her the smallest dose of benedryl (children's, of course). And try some hydrocortisone for the itching. Have you tried any new foods lately? You said she's BF...

When my DS was 4 months old, we realized something was wrong. Took him to the doctor and after some tests, discovered he had pretty severe allergies. Milk, eggs and wheat (lol, yeah, try eliminating all of that from your diet-not fun). When he would have a reaction, we'd give him a small dose of benedryl and put some hydrocortisone on the hives. He was also having skin reactions, so when that would happen I'd wash the area with just plain soap and water, and then repeat the other steps.

The hives can last up to several hours. Typically, with my DS, they clear up within 15 minutes of the benedryl and hydrocortisone, but once they lasted 6 hours (turns out he was allergic to dogs, and we were at my BIL's who has a dog).

I would avoid strawberries (even you eating them) until you can have her tested. My DS is 19 months old, and in February we had him retested....milk and egg levels were down (egg was almost gone)...wheat was still the same (which could mean a ragweed allergy) and dog was up there. lol.

Good luck, momma! Allergies suck in little kids. I mean, they suck for everyone, but especially when it's your little munchkin and they're clearly suffering. Oh, and she can still eat her normal stuff. I'd just stay away from strawberry (you, too).

mab05
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Benedryl antiitch cream and benedryl for children.

My son has been getting hives periodically since he was 11months old. It's awwful and all over his body. Eventually they get so bad that they bruise his poor little body.

Just carry on doing what you're doing. If you think its food related than stay away frm that food.

My son on the other hand is virus realted. His immune system goes into overdrive and he breaks out like crazy after getting sick. But they are definitely hives.

Also heat makes them worse. Try tto keep her cool, make sure she isnt overdressed outside or at bed time and baths are luke warm, or as cool as she'll take it

Good luck.

Melissa, mommy to:
Hadeon --- December 26, 2006
Cera --- June 17, 2009
Nelleah --- December 21, 2010
trebelcleff
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:22 PM

For us, benadryl works quickly and effectively on hives.  You'll have to get the appropriate dosage from your pedi first though.  As for the hives, our doc said they can appear up to 72 hours after ingesting an allergen.  For now, eliminate any potential allergens from her diet.  Go back to what you know is safe for her for a couple of weeks to let her system get back to normal.  Don't worry!!!  Just inform your family that she is around that there is a potential allergy and to only feed her "mom approved" items!

Ammie25
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Thanks all! So far today, she's been pretty comfortable. In good spirits. I sure hope she don't have an allergy to dogs cuz the family we just moved in with has a big dog. Cross your fingers it was the strawberries. :)

Char07
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:38 PM
Anyone who uses benadryl both orally and topically be careful not to OD your LO on benedryl since they are getting benedryl from both sources...

Quoting mab05:

My son has been getting hives periodically since he was 11months old. It's awwful and all over his body. Eventually they get so bad that they bruise his poor little body.

Just carry on doing what you're doing. If you think its food related than stay away frm that food.

My son on the other hand is virus realted. His immune system goes into overdrive and he breaks out like crazy after getting sick. But they are definitely hives.

Also heat makes them worse. Try tto keep her cool, make sure she isnt overdressed outside or at bed time and baths are luke warm, or as cool as she'll take it

Good luck.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WilliamsMama08
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:53 PM

If it were the strawberries, the allergy would have passed by now.  Can you post a photo of the red spots? 

mab05
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Neither his ped or the pharmacist saying aynthing about a possible overdose if I used both at the same time.

Quoting Char07:

Anyone who uses benadryl both orally and topically be careful not to OD your LO on benedryl since they are getting benedryl from both sources...

Quoting mab05:

Good luck.

Melissa, mommy to:
Hadeon --- December 26, 2006
Cera --- June 17, 2009
Nelleah --- December 21, 2010
NinaLemon
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:11 PM

I would talk to your PED, before giving benadryl or the creams, get the proper dosage and have it ready before giving any high allergen foods.  I wouldn't think it was the strawberries because of how long the reaction lasted.  My son has severe allergies to peanuts, tree nuts and eggs - he was hospitalized after having an anaphylactic reaction to peanut butter, he did have recurring reactions, but they subsided within about 12 hours of the initial exposure.

I did eat things with nuts and eggs while nursing him and he didn't react through me, the only thing I had to eliminate from my diet was dairy which he outgrew by 18 months.

I would go back to basics with solids and see if you can isolate the allergen. 

As a PP said hives can also be a reaction to stress, illness, temperature - so it may not be an allergy at all.  My son also got hives from heat and humidity.

Good Luck (((hugs)))

Ammie25
by on Mar. 30, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Thanks! Despite the fact that her reaction seemed to last a while, I am beginning to doubt that it was an allergic reaction to food. It had been 2-3 almost 4 days after she had eaten strawberries.

Another aspect to everything is that she has been sick, and this whole week, we have been moving into a new house. Also, we are moving in with another family who has a dog. She had been crawling on the floor with bare knees and her skin coulda been irritated from the carpet, or something in the carpet.

Definitely a big question mark. But I am keeping a closer eye on her.

Would it make sense to keep a journal of the things she ate? If so, how long would I need to do it?

Quoting NinaLemon:

I would talk to your PED, before giving benadryl or the creams, get the proper dosage and have it ready before giving any high allergen foods.  I wouldn't think it was the strawberries because of how long the reaction lasted.  My son has severe allergies to peanuts, tree nuts and eggs - he was hospitalized after having an anaphylactic reaction to peanut butter, he did have recurring reactions, but they subsided within about 12 hours of the initial exposure.

I did eat things with nuts and eggs while nursing him and he didn't react through me, the only thing I had to eliminate from my diet was dairy which he outgrew by 18 months.

I would go back to basics with solids and see if you can isolate the allergen. 

As a PP said hives can also be a reaction to stress, illness, temperature - so it may not be an allergy at all.  My son also got hives from heat and humidity.

Good Luck (((hugs)))

mab05
by on Mar. 31, 2011 at 2:38 AM
Not just the things she ate. The soaps she's used (deterent included) , the places she's been, if she's been ill and the weather.

That being said she could go months or yrs before having another reaction like that. It may never happen again. Hives are a strange thing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)