Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone tried this?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:50 PM
  • 8 Replies
I'm feeling trapped and desperately want my son off formula. I think he needed something more in the beginning but now he shouldn't buy 70% of the time after nursing until I can no longer get him to nurse he will suck down a 2oz bottle. Ugh. The doc has not given me any instructions or time frame to get him on breast only. I would just stop all together but I'm terrified he will start losing again.

So my thought is to buy a baby scale (which I think someone here suggested) and weighing before and after feeding. Has anybody used the red cross scale from babies r us?

Any other advice on how to get away from formula?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
maggiemom2000
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:42 PM
The fact that he will drink two ounces of formula after breastfeeding does NOT mean that he didn't get enough at the breast.

How many ounces of formula is he getting each day? Give him 2 ounces less formula than usual. A few days later drop another 2 ounces and so on until you're at zero. Meanwhile get him to nurse more frequently.

When you nurse him, keep switching him back and forth between your breasts until he stops wanting to nurse or falls asleep.
Forget-me-not
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:43 PM
How old is he
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandy716
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:02 PM
Will try all of that. Thank you. We offer a 2 oz bottle after he nurses everytime. He sometimes takes an oz. Sometimes none. But probably 60% of the time all of it. I nurse every 3 hours during the day and every 4 at night unless hes hungry before then which is almost always the case. Thanks for suggestions.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

The fact that he will drink two ounces of formula after breastfeeding does NOT mean that he didn't get enough at the breast.

How many ounces of formula is he getting each day? Give him 2 ounces less formula than usual. A few days later drop another 2 ounces and so on until you're at zero. Meanwhile get him to nurse more frequently.

When you nurse him, keep switching him back and forth between your breasts until he stops wanting to nurse or falls asleep.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandy716
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:02 PM
He turned 4 weeks on sat.

Quoting Forget-me-not:

How old is he

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elmo6885
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Breastfed babies loose some weight in the beginning, was he loosing a lot? My ped pushed formula with my first son but his weight went back up by week 3 so luckily we didn't have to mess with it.

I would do what the pp said and reduce the formula by 2oz a day until it's zero.  And nurse as much as possible.

mandy716
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:48 PM
He lost a lb. The doc wast necessarily worried that he lost but that he kept losing until he was 2 weeks old. That was when we started formula.

Quoting elmo6885:

Breastfed babies loose some weight in the beginning, was he loosing a lot? My ped pushed formula with my first son but his weight went back up by week 3 so luckily we didn't have to mess with it.

I would do what the pp said and reduce the formula by 2oz a day until it's zero.  And nurse as much as possible.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Forget-me-not
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:57 PM
Stop bottles altogether tomorrow and nurse on demand, your supply WILL meet his demand. Be prepared to nurse a lot the first few days but he won't starve, 6-8 wet/poopies a day ( a soaking wet one counts as 2 so does a poopy ) you'll do fine :-) trust yourself and have faith in that amazingly wonderful body of yours.

Quoting mandy716:

He turned 4 weeks on sat.

Quoting Forget-me-not:

How old is he

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 29, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Losing till two weeks is NOT unheard of.

DO NOT buy a scale. It will merely make you crazy. Get in bed with baby and NURSE. Bottles in the trash.

I only see self-sabotage here, Mandy, sorry. You need to just count dipes and watch development. Weight is a late indicator of problems, and home scales are liars. Even the Red Cross one. Save your money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)