Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

he only likes 1

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:28 AM
  • 6 Replies

my DS2 is a week old. and its so weird cause i will try and feed him off my left breast but he just screams and does not latch on. with my right side he latches on right away and goes to town. i have tried holding him football style and cradle and laying down. my breast is now so engorged it hurts and i know he now cant latch on cause its rock hard. i just dont want to dry up on that side. and my right nipple is starting to hurt since thats the only side he feeds on. im going to get my pump tomorrow morning and start pumping on that side and storing the milk just in case i have to leave him with my sister or mom or hubby. is there anything i can do to get him to nurse on my left side? other than this lil bump, he is GREAT at feeding! oh and i have been hand expressing some milk, but its just not the same, kwim?

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
kiralyn
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:36 AM

And here's a bump for you :) I hope you can get things figured out too.

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Quoting luvbeinamommy68:

my DS2 is a week old. and its so weird cause i will try and feed him off my left breast but he just screams and does not latch on.

Not unusual and not a problem.

with my right side he latches on right away and goes to town. i have tried holding him football style and cradle and laying down. my breast is now so engorged it hurts and i know he now cant latch on cause its rock hard.

OK. Pump or hand express the less desired side and keep trying alternate positions.

i just dont want to dry up on that side.

You'd have to chop it off for that to happen.

and my right nipple is starting to hurt since thats the only side he feeds on.

Lansinoh. Use it liberally.

im going to get my pump tomorrow morning and start pumping on that side and storing the milk just in case i have to leave him with my sister or mom or hubby. is there anything i can do to get him to nurse on my left side?

Continue to offer and to try different positions and try expressing before latching. He might be getting overwhelmed with milk flow there.

other than this lil bump, he is GREAT at feeding! oh and i have been hand expressing some milk, but its just not the same, kwim?

Yeah. But don't sweat this. Most babies have a preference. It's not a big deal.

luvbeinamommy68
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting luvbeinamommy68:

my DS2 is a week old. and its so weird cause i will try and feed him off my left breast but he just screams and does not latch on.

Not unusual and not a problem.

with my right side he latches on right away and goes to town. i have tried holding him football style and cradle and laying down. my breast is now so engorged it hurts and i know he now cant latch on cause its rock hard.

OK. Pump or hand express the less desired side and keep trying alternate positions.

i just dont want to dry up on that side.

You'd have to chop it off for that to happen.

and my right nipple is starting to hurt since thats the only side he feeds on.

Lansinoh. Use it liberally.

im going to get my pump tomorrow morning and start pumping on that side and storing the milk just in case i have to leave him with my sister or mom or hubby. is there anything i can do to get him to nurse on my left side?

Continue to offer and to try different positions and try expressing before latching. He might be getting overwhelmed with milk flow there.

other than this lil bump, he is GREAT at feeding! oh and i have been hand expressing some milk, but its just not the same, kwim?

Yeah. But don't sweat this. Most babies have a preference. It's not a big deal.

thank you! this makes me feel much better!

catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Quoting gdiamante:
Quoting luvbeinamommy68: my DS2 is a week old. and its so weird cause i will try and feed him off my left breast but he just screams and does not latch on. Not unusual and not a problem. with my right side he latches on right away and goes to town. i have tried holding him football style and cradle and laying down. my breast is now so engorged it hurts and i know he now cant latch on cause its rock hard. OK. Pump or hand express the less desired side and keep trying alternate positions. i just dont want to dry up on that side. You'd have to chop it off for that to happen. and my right nipple is starting to hurt since thats the only side he feeds on. Lansinoh. Use it liberally. im going to get my pump tomorrow morning and start pumping on that side and storing the milk just in case i have to leave him with my sister or mom or hubby. is there anything i can do to get him to nurse on my left side? Continue to offer and to try different positions and try expressing before latching. He might be getting overwhelmed with milk flow there. other than this lil bump, he is GREAT at feeding! oh and i have been hand expressing some milk, but its just not the same, kwim? Yeah. But don't sweat this. Most babies have a preference. It's not a big deal.

CLICK AN ICON TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

Amanda_Leigh
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:20 PM

my daughter did the same thing. she did grow out of it though. :)

msashhh
by on Apr. 15, 2011 at 6:41 AM
My DS is the same way his preference is my left rather than right. It's ugly to be lumpsided but I have heard to just pump it. Idk. I still haven't done that so I'm still lumpsided.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)