Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 week old no poopies in over 24 hours..

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:30 AM
  • 7 Replies

My son is 6 weeks old and is EBF, he usually would poop with almost every diaper, but out of nowhere he became constipated yesterday and hasn't had a poopy diaper in over 24 hours, what can I do to ease his pain I feel so bad he's so fussy and constipated, and when should I start to be concerned? 

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sugareemommee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:32 AM

I should also add wet diaper count has been fine,,

ashleybgarcia
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:43 AM
I think bf babies can go up to a week!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom_to_Skyler
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:54 AM

Normal for bf babies!  My personal record was 15 days with my son. 

My DD never went longer than three days between poops.

melindabelcher
by mel on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:00 AM

Constipation isn't possible as a BF baby. Constipation is the passing of hard stools, not the lack of pooping. Totally normal babies body and breastmilk are syncing together. Breastmilk is so complete babies can utilize everything in it allowing for little waste unlike formula. If your concerned try massaging belly in a clockwise mortion, bicycle legs, lying on left side with right knee bent. Nothing wrong with no poop when it comes to a breastfed baby. Give it time and be prepared for a blow out if it goes more then 5 days. Good luck mama.

JenStein
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:05 AM

I agree with all PP's, it's totally normal. I would wait it out. However if he's seemingly uncomfortable, or if you're really freaking out, you can try putting some coconut oil on his bottom (right around the hole part). Works every time for my DS, and not only is it totally natural, it's good for their skin to absorb! Be prepared for a blow out!!

sugareemommee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Thanks so much for all your replies mamas -- so glad I posted I had no idea they could go so long!  He always had a squirt with every diaper so I was getting so worried for nothing :)

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:26 AM
By 3 weeks each of my four babies had changed from pooping at every nursing to only pooping once every 3-8 days. 8 was our longest stretch. Longer than 2 or 3 days, prepare for epic blowout! Completely normal as breastmilk is so digestible there is no waste, especially when baby slows down on overeating.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)