Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9mos; nursing, biting, blood, and whole millk?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:07 PM
  • 4 Replies

I thought I could get through this, but Camden bit me this moring soo hard he left a blood blister, no actual blood yet.

I've gotten some different advice on how to put a stop to this since my goal is to nurse till he's a year old. One was to thump him on the cheek getting his attention and then telling him NO. The other was to remove him, yell OUCH, set him down and walk away.

We have our 9mos well baby visit today and I plan to ask about introducing whole milk and more solids. What is your feeling on this? I nearly dropped him in the floor today, I don't want to ever feel like I needed to do that again.

Thank you,

monkey Camden -- 29 days early & a NICU Graduate; BD 07-11-10, 6lbs, 19.5" approx'ly.  ♥ ♥ Only an Aunt can give hugs like a mother, keep secrets like a sister, and love like a friend. ♥ ♥

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:15 PM

I touch their teeth when they bite and yell OWIE no biting loudly, sometimes they are not trying to bite but it happens when learning the new latch ...Asher is the only baby I have had that actually has BIT me not by accident either.  After 3-4 times of the loud no and putting him down it worked.

Whole milk is NOT needed at all...its NOT.  If you plan to wean at a year then gradually starting on his birthday cut out a nursing a week.  When under 3 nursings a day then replace it with a source of calcium, if you want that to be cows milk thats fine.  My sons always hated whole milk so they got 2% but got fat from other places that were healthier. NO cows milk before a year it can cause anemia, and could cause weaning.

By 9 months Asher sat down when we ate each meal and had solids...he nursed before if I was home or he had a bottle, but he had some of what we had within reason or we made stuff just for him depending on what we ate.  No baby food, no purees and all self feeding.  After a year I plan to let him nurse before solids if he wants but if he doesn't then thats ok too.

Char07
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:35 PM

I did remove, say no loundly and place on the floor for a few minutes for each bite if it was intentional.  When it is accidental like she's trying to look around but didn't realize she couldn't take me with her I try to anticipate a distraction then pull her in before she has a chance to chomp down, she has learned that she has to unlatch before turning around and that biting for fun ends the feeding.  She only bites for fun when she's done so if she isn't sleeping and she isn't actively nursing I take her off to get her off before it becomes a game.

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Quoting Camdens_Momma:

I've gotten some different advice on how to put a stop to this since my goal is to nurse till he's a year old. One was to thump him on the cheek getting his attention and then telling him NO.

Which works for some. For others, baby thinks it's a game and will thump you in return.

The other was to remove him, yell OUCH, set him down and walk away.

Set down, SAY ouch and walk away. Makle sure he's HUNGRY when it's done, too... no solids without nursing nicely first.

We have our 9mos well baby visit today and I plan to ask about introducing whole milk and more solids. What is your feeling on this?

Whole milk at one year. Give it in a cup, STRAIGHT UP, not mixed with anything. Or skip it entirely. He doesn't NEED it. As to solids, they still follow nursing all the way to the first birthday. Give whatever he will take AFTER nursing. On the first birthday you can give them on a schedule unconnected to nursing... or not.

I nearly dropped him in the floor today, I don't want to ever feel like I needed to do that again.

Thank you,

maggiemom2000
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:50 PM
What worked best with all 3 of my kids was to figure out when they were going to bite, and take them off before they did. Baby CAN'T bite when actively nursing (sucking swallowing), he'd have to bite his own tongue in order to. Watch for a slight change in the psition of his jaw. Watch for him to stop sucking. Then take him off right away.

I found I only needed to do this consistently for a few days then the biting stopped.

The problem that can happen with the "thump" or the yell is that baby can sometimes get excited or entertained by the reaction and will do it more, just to see the exciting response. If you can't get him off before he bites, a calm, quiet "no" and then setting him on the floor may have more impact.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)