Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should I do?!

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:33 PM
  • 6 Replies
My little one turned 1 year old yesterday, and I'm still breastfeeding, but my concern is that my hair falls out so bad that it soon will all fall out. Could it be from breastfeeding ? My DH says it's enough already for him, he's not supporting me anymore! He says i breastfeed our little one too much, which i dont think its too much, about 4 times a day, is that too much for his age? I still wanna breastfeed till at least 18 month, but don't wanna go bald too. Wat should I do, I take all the needed vitamins for me. Any suggesting for me?
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mamasitarica
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:35 PM

My hair falls out all the time (except when pregnat). I don't think it has anything to do with nursing as mine is all the time nursing or not.  That's just me though. I have never heard of breastfeeding causing your hair to fall outl.  Wish I had some suggestions.  I will keep an eye on this to see if there is something that can help me too.

Char07
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Not sure about the hair since you are already taking vitamins, what exactly do you take for vitamins?  But as for too much per day, thats up to you.  My lo (10 mo) nurses 6-12 times per day and I won't mind if she still does past her birthday.  I plan to let her wean herself and my dh is not to thrilled about it, he thinks past 1 is creepy but until he can find some research that says for her health I should not then its my choice.  He has gotten used to me being this way about certain things so I'm sure once we are there it won't seem so "creepy" anymore. 

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Hair loss is normal post partum. You'd be losing it no matter what. If you wean you will continue losing it till all of your pregnancy's unshed hair is finally shed. That's nine months worth of shedding you didn't do.

You won't go bald.

As to hubby... tell him Michael Jordan and Albert Einstein breastfed till age THREE. And going till at least two reduces your breast cancer risk by 50%. If you have ANY family history of the disease, nursing till two should be considered MANDATORY in the interest of your life.

maggiemom2000
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:44 PM
The hair loss has NOTHING to do with breastfeeding. It happens after giving birth, whether you breastfeed or not.

Lots of moms find it harder to get support from friends and family as baby gets older. I'm sure that they don't know that the WHO recommends a minimum of 2 years. The MINIMUM guidelines from the AAP is 12 months. Does DH really just want baby to get the MINIMUM?

Share some of the info from this web page with DH
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

Such as:

The American Academy of Family Physicians notes that children weaned before two years of age are at increased risk of illness (AAFP 2001).

"Human milk expressed by mothers who have been lactating for >1 year has significantly increased fat and energy contents, compared with milk expressed by women who have been lactating for shorter periods. During prolonged lactation, the fat energy contribution of breast milk to the infant diet might be significant."
-- Mandel 2005
"Breast milk continues to provide substantial amounts of key nutrients well beyond the first year of life, especially protein, fat, and most vitamins."
-- Dewey 2001
In the second year (12-23 months), 448 mL of breastmilk provides:
29% of energy requirements
43% of protein requirements
36% of calcium requirements
75% of vitamin A requirements
76% of folate requirements
94% of vitamin B12 requirements
60% of vitamin C requirements
-- Dewey 2001

Extensive research on the relationship between cognitive achievement (IQ scores, grades in school) and breastfeeding has shown the greatest gains for those children breastfed the longest.
catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Hair loss is normal in the PP period! 

CLICK AN ICON TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

Natalka
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM
I take the 100% natural vitamins, one is called "jus" it's in liquid form and has 23 superfruits in it, which has lots of vitamins and antioxidants, and the other one is a gene optimizer, it's in a powder form and you activate it in water, I believe this is the best stuff one the market right now. I told my DH and he has nothing against breastfeeding anymore, since I told him this is the minimum and hair loss is not caused by breastfeeding, and ofcoure he wants the best for our baby. Thank you all ladies, you were so helpful!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)