Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Irregular bowel movements

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:49 PM
  • 2 Replies

My LO is 7 months old and has just started solids. 

Since he was 3 months old, he has not pooped on a daily basis; the longest he's gone w/o pooping is 8 days.  However, when I started solids I thought for sure this would change...but, it hasn't!  Last week he ate avocado, this week it's bananas, it's 6 days since he's had a bowel movement.  So, I'm wondering is this normal?  Should I be worried, because I am!

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Irregular bowel movements are expected for a breastfed baby, even with solids sometimes. Is he uncomfortable? When he HAS passed them, were they hard and dry? Is he struggling to pass them now?

Since you're worried, dump the solids and go back to a breastmilk baseline. Solids are NOT needed. He misses nothing by not getting them.

Samsonpoo
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Thank you for your response! He has only had 1 small bm since starting solids last week,  It was definitely harder than his regular breastfed bm but it was not dry.  It's difficult to know if he's uncomfortable because he's also going through separation anxiety with me right now...  When he's in my arms he's happy. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)