Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bad enzyme?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:37 PM
  • 26 Replies

i just talke to my b-feeding counsiler lady and explained to her that my 2 month old son isnt keeping b-milk down but he keeps formula down and i'v gone through the entire list of foods and drinks cutting them out  and nothing helped.  she sayd to try adding b-milk to his formula a ml at a time to see if he holds it down,  and if not it might be an enzyme i  produce that he cant digest.  has anyone ever heard of that?

sept 5, 2011

just an update,  my son is lactose intolerent and is now on soy-based formula and jared baby food  he's been doing much better.  We found out he was lactose intolerant from his WIC lady suggesting that could be the cause.

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama02040608
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:51 PM
Honestly, no. Some women produce too much lipase and baby doesn't like the pumped milk, but generally it doesn't cause spitting up. Do you have too much milk? Or perhaps he has a dairy sensitivity. What symptoms have you noticed in baby?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Does he spit up just bottled BM or from the breast too?

Never once have heard of an enzyme being an issue..sound odd to me

Char07
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:27 PM
Does he spit up when nursing? When given bm by bottle? When given formula by bottle? If only when nursing probably oal/oversupply, if both nursing and bm in bottle then maybe dairy intolerence.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifetimelove
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:40 PM
If the spitting up isn't. Bothering him, it isn't a problem. 99% of the time when a baby is spitting up breastmilk and not formula, it's because mom has overactive letdown or oversupply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:20 PM
There are two main reasons why baby may spit up more breast milk:

One is that the formula may simply be just enough thicker that it is more likely to stay down.

Two is that mom has an oversupply of milk, which can cause excessive spitting up.

I have no idea what "enzyme" this person thinks may be causing the problem.

Most cases of spitting up are not a problem (aside from all the extra laundry). If baby is healthy and gaining weight it doesn't matter how much they spit up. Even if the spit up breast milk and keep down formula, the breast milk is STILL better for them!

Do you have any of the other symptoms of an oversupply of milk?

When a mother has more milk than her baby can handle, the following behaviors may be common:

Baby cries a lot, and is often very irritable and/or restless
Baby may sometimes gulp, choke, sputter, or cough during feedings at breast
Baby may seem to bite or clamp down on the nipple while feeding
Milk sprays when baby comes off, especially at the beginning of a feeding
Mother may have sore nipples
Baby may arch and hold himself very stiffly, sometimes screaming
Feedings often seem like battles, with baby nursing fitfully on and off
Feedings may be short, lasting only 5 or 10 minutes total
Baby may seem to have a "love-hate" relationship with the breast
Baby may burp or pass gas frequently between feedings, tending to spit up a lot
Baby may have green, watery or foamy, explosive stools
Mother's breasts feel very full most of the time
Mother may have frequent plugged ducts, which can sometimes lead to mastitis (breast infection)
If many of these experiences seem familiar to you, it may be because you have an overabundant supply of milk, which can cause a forceful milk ejection (sometimes referred to as overactive let-down), and/or foremilk-hindmilk imbalance.[1][2] The infant behaviors described above are caused by these issues but may frequently be misdiagnosed as colic, lactose intolerance, milk protein allergy, reflux, or hypertonicity (stiff muscle tone).
Jessibear2010
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 1:35 PM

@mama02040608

he pukes all of the milk, uncurtled  it looks white like my milk does and has no mucus or anything with it.

@ tabi_cat1023

both bottled bm and breast

@Char07

he does fine with formula  it's when  he's eating breastmilk from either me or the bottle  both during and after he's finished.

@lifetimelove

he cries everytime after he spits up like it's hurting him.  

@maggiemom2000

when I was trying just bfeeding him he barely gained 2 or 3 ounces,  after i started feeding him formula he started gaining weight real well.  he's now 9 pounds as opposed to the around 5 ounces he pretty much stayed at his first month and a half of life when i was lisening to his nurse.   i demanded to see his doctor and it was his doctor's iea to feed him formula.

I'v had milk spray twice.  He doesnt cough or choke when he's feeding but he does choke throughout the day.    He does pass alot of gas.   That's all from your list that he has.

I have cut out differnt foods and drinks,  i even cut out all dairy but he still spits up his feedings.

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 14, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Quoting Jessibear2010:

@mama02040608

he pukes all of the milk, uncurtled  it looks white like my milk does and has no mucus or anything with it.

tabi_cat1023

OK. Spitup is often merely a laundry problem and nothing to worry about. Reading on....

@Char07

he does fine with formula  it's when  he's eating breastmilk from either me or the bottle  both during and after he's finished.

Then he's reacting to either your letdown or something in your diet. Reading on....

@lifetimelove

Any weight loss? I'd be most concerned about that... reading on...

@maggiemom2000

when I was trying just bfeeding him he barely gained 2 or 3 ounces,  

In what time period,. from what starting point? They normally gain 4-6 ounces per week from LOWEST weirght... you're supposed to forget the birth weight.

after i started feeding him formula he started gaining weight real well.  he's now 9 pounds as opposed to the around 5 ounces he pretty much stayed at his first month and a half of life when i was lisening to his nurse.

Nine pounds at two months? From what starting point? Normal gain is one pound per month. Pound and a half TOPS... more CAN happen at the breast but when it happens with formula, be concerned... it can be a cue for obesity risk. I fear your doc has done you some harm here.

i demanded to see his doctor and it was his doctor's iea to feed him formula.

I'v had milk spray twice.  He doesnt cough or choke when he's feeding but he does choke throughout the day.    He does pass alot of gas.   That's all from your list that he has.

Then you have overactive letdown. ONE item on the list is all that's needed.Your strategy? NEVER nurse with baby UINDER the breast. Lean back, plop him ON TOP of your breast. Mouth should be OVER it. (It's also a great way to do tummy time instead of putting hm on the floor.) Gravity controls the flow. Result? Far less gas and spitup.

I have cut out differnt foods and drinks,  i even cut out all dairy but he still spits up his feedings.

Because you have overactive letdown. Even cutting dairy takes weeks to work... but I don't think you need to do that. I think you need to use overactive letdown protocols. Count dipes... 6-8 per day, pound to pound and a half gain per month.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 14, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Have you had his tongue checked for a tongue tie?  Has he been evaluated for reflux?

Jessibear2010
by on Apr. 15, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Nine pounds at two months? From what starting point? Normal gain is one pound per month. Pound and a half TOPS... more CAN happen at the breast but when it happens with formula, be concerned... it can be a cue for obesity risk. I fear your doc has done you some harm here.

he was born 5 weeks early.  his pediatrichian said he's in the 10% for babies his age in his weight and height.  his weight gain still falls below his curve but his growth is following it.  he hes between 2 and 3 dirty and at least 8 wet diapers per day

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Jessibear2010:

@mama02040608

tabi_cat1023

OK. Spitup is often merely a laundry problem and nothing to worry about. Reading on....

@Char07

Then he's reacting to either your letdown or something in your diet. Reading on....

@lifetimelove

Any weight loss? I'd be most concerned about that... reading on...

@maggiemom2000

when I was trying just bfeeding him he barely gained 2 or 3 ounces,  

In what time period,. from what starting point? They normally gain 4-6 ounces per week from LOWEST weirght... you're supposed to forget the birth weight.

after i started feeding him formula he started gaining weight real well.  he's now 9 pounds as opposed to the around 5 ounces he pretty much stayed at his first month and a half of life when i was lisening to his nurse.

i demanded to see his doctor and it was his doctor's iea to feed him formula.

Then you have overactive letdown. ONE item on the list is all that's needed.Your strategy? NEVER nurse with baby UINDER the breast. Lean back, plop him ON TOP of your breast. Mouth should be OVER it. (It's also a great way to do tummy time instead of putting hm on the floor.) Gravity controls the flow. Result? Far less gas and spitup.

Because you have overactive letdown. Even cutting dairy takes weeks to work... but I don't think you need to do that. I think you need to use overactive letdown protocols. Count dipes... 6-8 per day, pound to pound and a half gain per month.

Jessibear2010
by on Apr. 15, 2011 at 1:33 PM

what is toungue tie?  were seeing if slowly adding milk to his formula until it replaces formula works before checking for reflux

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)