Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

11wk old and loosing weight

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:24 PM
  • 18 Replies
My son was born 5lb 12oz and now at 11wks is 8.2lbs (digital scale) at his 2month app he was 8lb 6oz (8.4lbs) and exactly a wk later he was 8lb4oz. Sometimes when I work he only drinks 4oz sometimes th full 8. Idk what to do. He was already in the 2nd percentile and I don't want a cps investigation when the next appt comes. Idk if his dad just isn't catching the cues or what but when I am home it seems like he just wants to eat. I am lucky to even get 8oz a day when I pump at work as I can onlly pump twice and that is pushing it.

Diaper. Count is good.

Advice?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:46 PM

bump :)

maggiemom2000
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:26 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about how much he is taking while you are at work as long as he gets unlimited access to the breast when you are home so that he can "make up" for it.

Are you sleeping with him and allowing him to nurse as much as he likes during the night? If not, that is the best thing you can do to boost supply and weight gain.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Ignore weights taken on different scales..leave 2 oz bottles to be offered every 2 hours...and nurse on demand at home.  Your baby most likely is reverse cycling, google that term and you will find info on it

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Ignore weights taken on different scales..leave 2 oz bottles to be offered every 2 hours...and nurse on demand at home.  Your baby most likely is reverse cycling, google that term and you will find info on it

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma2rhylee
by Member on Apr. 14, 2011 at 2:07 AM
He sleeps with me but he doesn't eat long. And unlimmited access, eans he would be on it when he's awake, he uses me as a pacifier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma2rhylee
by Member on Apr. 14, 2011 at 2:47 AM
I think it is reverse cycling. He sleeps better on nights I haven't worked that day. I am still concerned about weight. What I read said 6oz a week and he hasn't gained anything in 3 he has actually lost and with already so tiny it really worries me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 14, 2011 at 7:08 AM

4-6 oz a week is the norm, but you are basing you weights on home scales, you can not base it on home scales...take him to the ped to be weighed on the same scales as before.

momma2rhylee
by Member on Apr. 14, 2011 at 9:58 AM
Right but there shouldn't be that much difference especially after 3 weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Char07
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Depends on the accuracy of the scale, I have a home scale I use to track weight but I only use it to see an upward trend over a few months.  I can get such varying weights in the same day and see ups and downs over a few weeks but I use it only to watch for the overall increase.  If you are worried about weight then using an inaccurate scale will drive you crazy.  I wouldn't worry until you see a drop in weight on the pedis scale.

OP- you said he would just pacify all day with you there if you let him, you really should let him.  Some days my dd would nurse for literally 22 hours per day (I was recording feedings so that is a real #)  She was like that until around 12 weeks then it dropped a little and then it dropped again around 7 months.  With you being gone and him reverse cycling all the more reason to let him nurse as long as possible while you are home.  Do you have a sling so you can still get things done?  And I think you said you are already cosleeping to encourage night nursing.  Encouraging him to nurse as much as possible while you are home is probably your best bet.  Good luck!

Quoting momma2rhylee:

Right but there shouldn't be that much difference especially after 3 weeks.

momma2rhylee
by Member on Apr. 14, 2011 at 2:52 PM
I have a wrapbut haven't figured out how to nurse in it. Yes I ave to wake him to eat and inotice that he sleeps better at night if I haven't worked that day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)